Discuss World's Top 50 Monocrystalline Solar PV Modules in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

According to who???? What's the test criteria, it says monocrystalline but has Sanyo on which is hybrid, what about poly??? There's loads of these about you can usually manage to pick one to match the panel you supply :) if you're that way inclined or you can use a combination of PVsol simulations and Photon test results.

Many UK residents live in houses with limited roof space, so may find the list useful.

The Lords and Ladies amongst us living in palatial residences, will find the list utterly irrelevant.

List is useless unless you base it on one size of panel for a fair comparison, for example JA Solar is listed as 16.84% module efficiency, yet the JA solar 250w mono which will be the most sold size actually has a 15.29% module efficiency. There are also loads of manufacturers missing which would have made it into the top 10 but are not listed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Efficiencies do vary amongst manufacturers size of panels.

Lots of panels / manufacturers may be missing off the list because technology is

evolving quickly, but I don't agree that the list is "USELESS".

That is too black a view IMHO.

It gives people an idea, which companies are making the most efficient solar panels.

Solar panel efficiency isn't the Halcyon- some people do have large roofs, but

many do not.

This list will be helpful to help people trying to find decent solar panels for a

reasonably small roof, alongside many other real world studies like the Photon

reports.

Last edited:
I woud say that list is actually a hindrance to a customers understanding of a PV system. I often wonder how many jobs I've lost to other firms that have pulled the wool over their customers eyes by claiming that their 4kWp system is better simply because the panels are more efficient.

It may be of use to an installer if he wishes to design a system that makes the most of a roof space. In reality, of course, the difference in sizes of panels are a few mm - unlikely to make much difference when you're trying to squeeze an extra panel on.

Well it states the model number on the list !!!

so if JA solar model
JAM5(L)-72-215/SI is number 6 NOT THE JA solar 250's
this is where the customer can compare the panels to what the sales persons are telling them !!!! how many times have you heard ''OUR PANELS ARE THE BEST WE MAKE THEM OURSELF'' etc etc I think this list is very usefull to the public.....

common sense is required as just because JA SOLAR 215 are 6th best it does not mean ALL JA solar panels are 6th best.

List is useless unless you base it on one size of panel for a fair comparison, for example JA Solar is listed as 16.84% module efficiency, yet the JA solar 250w mono which will be the most sold size actually has a 15.29% module efficiency. There are also loads of manufacturers missing which would have made it into the top 10 but are not listed.

What would be a better list is part load efficiency tables or even a full simulation yield results league which would show how much a panel produces over a year in a given part of the uk.
What about price per watt comparison with efficiency? that would be interesting to see!

Vegelen, I'm simply pointing out that efficiency isn't the be all and end all of panel characteristics. It is something that is not generally well understood, sometimes by installers, generally by suppliers and rarely by customers.

It is if you live in a house with limited roof space, which many people do.

Companies producing price competitive, high efficiency solar panels in China and

beyond are experiencing very high demand on their panels, for good reason.

I understand what you are getting at.

Lots of decisions are made with solar based on a lack of understanding of the

technology.

Many people buy the most efficient panel, when they simply don't need them.

Some individuals / companies create very large solar arrays with the "most

efficient panels" at great expense, in areas with space, when it is folly to do so.

In future, as solar gets cheaper, solar technology will be implemented by

people living in small houses, with smaller roofs.

Efficient, inexpensive solar panels useful in that scenario will experience very high

demand.

J A Solar is an example of a company experiencing that demand right now,

increasing its production capacity at a significant rate year on year.

Panasonic bought Sanyo, because it could see the future potential of solar.

Last edited:
MEP thanks for pointing out what I had missed, the list does say the individual model number, which I didn't spot, so don't mind admitting when I am wrong and apologies to Vegelen, however if the negative person comment is meant for me, then you are a million miles off the mark with that one and in any case, you should try and keep personal insults out of a debate about efficiency.

Panasonic bought Sanyo, because it could see the future potential of solar.
Actually, it was mainly because of Sanyo's rechargeable and hybrid battery technology... they are the largest supplier of rechargeable batteries and supply most of the big car companies. Electric cars are probably going to be a bigger market than solar panels.

I'm sure they wanted the solar panel business as well though, but could've bought a chinese or another company or even made their own for much cheaper!!! That was back in 2009 and some of these panel makers didn't exist then.

I do agree that most people don't need the most efficient panel and some companies are selling these when they aren't required. But then I think about the huge number of people who buy diesels even though it'll actually cost them more over the lifetime of their ownership of the car than the equivalent petrol. They were sold on higher mpg, rather than better ROI. High efficiency sounds better, but that's why you get in a trusted installer who finds you the right panels, the right inverter, the right post-install support and the best ROI to suit you, rather than some salesman with years of double-glazing experience who tells you that you need Sanyos at a premium on a huge roof. But like the car example, if you are blissfully happy, don't know any better and are still getting a good ROI, better than sitting in the bank earning nothing, then at least that's good!

Thanks for the list, I found it interesting! I'm a big fan of high efficiency panels for small roofs, and that doesn't always mean Sanyos!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to World's Top 50 Monocrystalline Solar PV Modules in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net