Discuss Worst places to work. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GBDamo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'd like to forward pubs.

I have been doing reactive maintenance in pubs for four months now and they are by far the worst.

Forty years of semi-professionals sinking their retirement pots into a pub has led to some of the most creative electrical installation.

Today I was sent to a lighting fault, dead short, where a previous electrician had stated the circuit needed rewiring.

The circuit consisted of five areas, ground floor, fed from a grid switch.

The first fitting in each area was found and dropped. In each case the loop out and subsequent fittings all tested fine by IR, +200MOhms @ 500V accross all conductors however the feeds from the grid switch all showed dead shorts accross all conductors!!

Mmmm, thought I.

Tested the feed from the RCBO to grid switch, all good IR.

Then noticed the clue, a random live out of the COM of one grid switch.

Pulled it, it's N&E out and sure enough all conductors dead shorts, all the rest of the faults cleared and lights back on.

Where's that PL off to? Toured the pub and found four EM lights out in the first floor flat. Dropped the lot to find a loop out of the last, or so I thought, one. Back down stairs under a fire escape was a fifth and yes...

Full of water.

Normally I'd do a tour for this kind of thing but but was thrown a bit of a curve ball by the fault being reported as "pool table, darboard and disco lights tripping fuse"

What a faff but well chuffed to find, replace the light and get it all up and running.

I bet I was a barrel of laughs working their .lol.
You'd think but to date only one free drink offered and that was the landlord who had had "useless" other sparks out to find why his sockets were tripping, i got lucky(?) and found a socket still full of dog pi55. Turned out his dog was using one socket as a urinal, offered us free drinks not to tell the brewery.

When an apprentice, our company had the contract for chicken sheds. Stunk to high heaven, little peckers at your welly boots and chicken sh*t on all your tools.

I spent four days inspecting a pub a couple of months ago, put it this way I won’t be eating there...

I spent four days inspecting a pub a couple of months ago, put it this way I won’t be eating there...
Did it have an infestation of beer flies to top it off? I once worked in a cellar I shared with millions of the little fellows.

Two come to mind:

Full teardown of the control system and replacement in the largest crematorium in Manchester!

Commissioning of a 11kv generator as part of a chp scheme in a huge abattoir in Northern Ireland - the access was through the main stun and dispatch areas

My old fella's 'favourite' has always been doing a job for a fortnight in a tripe factory.....he quite liked it before but has nearly puked every time he's seen the stuff for the last 60 years :)

If you've never had the pleasure, the space under mobile homes can be lovely in all the worst ways, especially if you're looking for rodent damaged cables only to find the little blighters have been nibbling water pipes and you're crawling around in puddles with festering rodent poop in the middle of February.

If you've never had the pleasure, the space under mobile homes can be lovely in all the worst ways, especially if you're looking for rodent damaged cables only to find the little blighters have been nibbling water pipes and you're crawling around in puddles with festering rodent poop in the middle of February.
i'm lucky there. i'm too fat to fit under there.

Reply to Worst places to work. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock