Discuss Would I complete the NVQ 3 (2356) portfolio with the work that I do? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparky1983

Hi guys, I'm new to the game and a soon to be 25yr old/ 2nd year apprentice with an NICEIC Co in London. Our work usually involves doing "voids" and "remedial" work for one of the councils.

The work I've been involved in has been for one been rewiring new kitchens. This would involve a 2.5mm ring circuit, with spurs and sockets for washing machine, fridge, boiler aswell, done bonding on copper pipes for sink and sink taps and bath and bath taps aswell and installed a circuit for cookers in 10mm T&E.

I've also helped install new lighting circuits mainly through steel conduit in these flats new power circuits through MT2, extractor fans aswell and helped install photocells for communal lighting on estates, through steel conduit.

I've used armoured, pyro and FP200 and although I'm no way competent in all these types of work, as of yet, this will be the type of work I do. We also fix/install intercoms, do "disability" jobs - flashing light/ ringing phone/ door bell etc. And we've also worked on Fire Alarm systems.

Cheers for the help!

p.s Just realised that's a lot actually:) But is it enough? I'd want to do the NVQ 3 within a year if I could and I've been told by my college tutor you don't need to do the NVQ 2 to sign onto the NVQ 3. Could anyone confirm that?

there is no NVQ level 2 in electrical installation work now that is currently available, only an NVQ level 3 which is the 2356. How do I know, easy my lad wants to follow Dad into the industry and I have done a load of research on the NVQ and talked to loads of people about it. Johny

Thanks for that Johnny, but do you know if there are specific types of work that you need to be involved in, to pass this NVQ?

There are 8 units to complete comprising of:

Ensuring Safe Working
Fault Finding
Providing Technical Information
Maintaining a safe working environment
Preparing to install (1st fix)
Installing Wiring Systems (2nd Fix)
Connecting wiring systems
Test and Inspection

You need to show evidence of any 3 differnt wiring enclosures from PVC conduit & truning, Steel conduit and trunking, basket or cable tray.

You will also need to show evidence of any 3 wiring systems such as MICC, SWA, PVC singles or PVC twin

Hope that helps
Mark

You also need to show evidence of indoor and outdoor work, two types of work from domestic, commercial, agricultural, industrial and "working near machines", two types of access equipment and so on, i would say that you should easily be able to meet the range of work requirements, my advice would be to download the JIB 2356 logbook and use this, there is nothing stopping you from starting to collect evidence now. Have you sorted out where you are going to get your NVQ from? put Quickstep into Google they can give you a price for delivering the NVQ.

Sorry if this seems a bit vague, but its late and i am a bit rusty as i haven't worked as an NVQ Assessor for just over a year, but if you have any specific questions i will try to help you, and of course as an assessor i have some good tips on how to acheive!!

But basically you need a minimum of 3 jobs (making sure all the range of work is met) that you work on from start to finish ie planning to 1st and 2nd fix then testing and commisioning (showing or telling someone how something works), making sure you work safely throughout using access equipment, sweep up etc. follow procedures (fire drill, accident book,risk assessment etc) and fault find along the way, tere will always be a chippy putting a screw into a cable and the odd "incomplete ring". Back this up with your underpinning Knowledge and some proof (photos, plans, instructions, certificates and witness statements) and Bob's your uncle!!

Oh and if you are classed as a new Entrant you'll need the AM2 as counts as the PPA (pratical performance assessment), but this will count as one occasion of the 2 Health and Safety Units, Testing and Fault Finding

Clear as Mud

Anyway if i can help i will

Best of Luck

I was talking to one of the guys on site today about how he did the NVQ and he mentioned Quickstep and he said they provided a guide on how to complete the NVQ, he also completed the whole thing in 4 months!! hard to believe I know but hes a good lad. So I am inclined to beleive it can be done.

Cheers Johny

Thanks a lot for the great info Andy M. Thanks Johny99 aswell.

To Andy M, when you say "two types of work from domestic, commercial, agricultural, industrial" and "working near machines", could you explain a little more please. I don't see myself doing any electrical work in agricultural or industrial (machinery?) sites. I'm in a tiny company that does a lot of varied work and subs to a large Construction firm, but we don't tend to work on large sites, with loads of other tradesmen around.

Also, when you say a "minimum of 3 jobs (making sure all the range of work is met)", does that mean it's actually possible to meet all the range of work in three jobs?

Lastly, markysparky said earlier in this thread,

"You need to show evidence of any 3 differnt wiring enclosures from PVC conduit & truning, Steel conduit and trunking, basket or cable tray."

I've seen us use plenty of 20mm steel conduit and MT2, MT4 PVC trunking. I've also seen us using parts of oval trunking sunk into walls. I can't see us using any steel trunking, basket or cable tray. Who knows though, there might be a big job around the corner. But if there wasn't?

For example, today I was working on installing communal lighting on this estate. We were using DesignPlan 28W fluorescent lights, 20mm conduit and FP200 Gold 1.5mm (2 Core & CPC).

I haven't done any real testing or fault finding as of yet, on the job, or even in college and I've completed my first year. I think we'll going into it this upcoming college year. I suppose if I could all this with ethe above installation this could count as one of the 3 jobs for my NVQ?

Thanks again for all your help. I will look into Quickstep.

Hows it going,ive recently joined the forum and am in the process of of doing my NVQ3.Although I think I have my head around it there are one or two things im unsure of.Can any one clear these questions up for me?1Does every unit need evidence of some sort?,2Can the same evedence be given twice.ie site specific method statement?.3What types of evidence are they looking for at the end of each unit in the 'Related Performance Objective'box?Any advise would be appreciated

Hows it going,ive recently joined the forum and am in the process of of doing my NVQ3.Although I think I have my head around it there are one or two things im unsure of.Can any one clear these questions up for me?1Does every unit need evidence of some sort?,2Can the same evedence be given twice.ie site specific method statement?.3What types of evidence are they looking for at the end of each unit in the 'Related Performance Objective'box?Any advise would be appreciated

coming to the end of my nvq just waiting for the am2 to finish it

types of evidence theyl be looking for is pictures photos of you actually doing what your saying your doing make sure your wearing the corrct ppe ie goggles when drilling
copys of test sheets job sheets
manufacture documents and drawaings
any risk assesments

or you could do it how ive done it
speak to your trianing adviser determine what you need to get your nvq covered and when you think your going to cover anything get him to come to site and hel do the work for you while you get on with the job hel take photos of you and talk into a microphone explaining what your doing

my training advisor seemed all to happy to be on site all day not only that if theres other contractors on site charge hands youl get them ticked off aswell you get more done in observations than in write ups in my experience

EXAMPLES OF SUITABLE EVIDENCE FOR EACH UNIT

UNIT
EVIDENCE
301Ensure safe electrical site working
Risk assessment
RIDDOR Report
Access equipment instructions
Health and Safety manual
Tool box talk record
Photograph
Method statements
Photographs
305Prepare to install electrical wiring systems, wiring enclosures and equipment.
Delivery notes
Material requisition sheets
Installation drawings
Specifications
Photograph
306 Install electrical wiring systems, wiring enclosures and equipment.
Daywork sheets
Installation drawings
Specifications
Variation orders
Equipment installation instructions
Photograph
307 Connect wiring systems and equipment using safe and approved methods.
Distribution charts
Equipment connection instructions
Installation drawings
Specifications
Daywork sheets
Photograph
308 Inspect, test and commission an electrical installation.
Inspection schedule / Report
Test Schedule
Electrical Installation Certificate
Photograph
302 Diagnose and correct electrical faults
Job card
Permit to work

Report on fault

Complaint procedure report
303 Provide technical and functional information to relevant people
Manufacturers instructions on the use of electrical equipment
Maintenance instructions for installed equipment

Photograph
304Maintain a healthy and safe working environment
Health and safety manual
Construction site health and safety procedures

Photograph

Tool box talk record

Hey i'm a third year apprentice and i work for a coucil i sometimes struggle with commercial bits of my NVQ because all i really worked on was domestic propeties but i had a big hole in my portfolio i spoke with the manager of my company and said is it possible to get on any commercial or industrial jobs which soon fixed the situation i am going to have a look at the sub-main next week subposidly

Just ask ?
thanks
Lee

i'm also doing my NVQ at the minute, i'm worried about the enclosures side as i do mainly domestic i only really use plastic trunking and conduit. I was just wondering it capping would class as a enclosure and if not have you got nay ideas?

I teach, instruct and assess NVQ L1 and L2 Electrical qualification on the QCF programme.

To gain the qualification you have to complete 3 sets of questions known as Knowledge Banks, these are
1, working safely in Engineering
2, Working efficiently and effectively in engineering
3, Understanding and Communicating in technology.

You have to complete several electrical exercises which cover all the skills and techniques required for you to complete 3 Practical assignments (under your own steam)which cover all the requirements of the Assessment route summaries.

This year my lot have done a combined 1 way and 3 way lighting circuit.
Three phase Star Delta Motor power and control circuit.
Built an Infrared detector from an electronics component kit comprising of more than 10 components

Level 2,

Complete a fault finding exercise on a 3 phase motor circuit
Install a mix of 5 different final circuits, domestic, commercial, using different containment systems, trunking, tray, conduit etc.
Construct another electronics kit with more than 30 soldered components.

So be under no illusions, NVQ 1 and 2 is not a walk in the park, but it is a worthwhile qualification. L3 is done on the Job in company.

Cheers...........Howard

Reply to Would I complete the NVQ 3 (2356) portfolio with the work that I do? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock