Discuss Would this be acceptable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

I have a customer who wants LED lights around his newly built garden wall.

He wants 12 in total currently there is already a existing outdoor socket in the garden which is fed from the ring final circuit via a FCU

At present he would like to keep the outdoor socket.

He doesn’t want any work to be carried out within the property therefore I just wanted to get a second opinion on my proposal.

Would it be okay to feed the new lights via connecting to the existing outdoor socket as it is already fused by the FCU inside

thank you

Hi all

I have a customer who wants LED lights around his newly built garden wall.

He wants 12 in total currently there is already a existing outdoor socket in the garden which is fed from the ring final circuit via a FCU

At present he would like to keep the outdoor socket.

He doesn’t want any work to be carried out within the property therefore I just wanted to get a second opinion on my proposal.

Would it be okay to feed the new lights via connecting to the existing outdoor socket as it is already fused by the FCU inside

thank you
add a 5A or 3A FCU ( suitably IP rated ) after the outdoor socket. then connect lights from there. you could even add remote control, fitting the receiver in a IP 65 box, or a PIR sensor.

add a 5A or 3A FCU ( suitably IP rated ) after the outdoor socket. then connect lights from there. you could even add remote control, fitting the receiver in a IP 65 box, or a PIR sensor.

thanks for your response

I was planning on doing this with 2.5mm cable as the length of the run is going to be around 100m is 2.5mm cable overkill will I be okay using 1mm ?

Or other way round 100m of 1.0mm twin cable is about 4.4 ohms, for 3% drop on 230V for lighting it is 6.9V, so you can draw up to 1.6A (360W).

Is that enough?
[automerge]1587117582[/automerge]
Doh, missed the 12 lights, that would allow 30W per light. For LEDs that is going to be pretty bright for many, but not if if it is a mini-golf course, etc, played at night!

Or other way round 100m of 1.0mm twin cable is about 4.4 ohms, for 3% drop on 230V for lighting it is 6.9V, so you can draw up to 1.6A (360W).

Is that enough?

Yes this is

Is that enough?
[automerge]1587117582[/automerge]
Doh, missed the 12 lights, that would allow 30W per light. For LEDs that is going to be pretty bright for many, but not if if it is a mini-golf course, etc, played at night!

thanks for this

It helped a lot

just be sure to use a suitable cble e.g. H07RN , NOT T/E.

Reply to Would this be acceptable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net