Discuss Written consent from customer. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 4632

So i relocated a c/u in a garage after customer gave me the green light and said just do it. I made them aware that it would require a full E.I.C.R as well and any issues would have to be rectified following the c/u replacement which they said was fine. I carried out the following -

. Installed new metal c/u in new location
.Extended each circuit via a din rail arrangement to new c/u
.Installed bonding to oil (water was done)

Carried out E.I.C.R, all OK except cooker switch is directly over hob which the customer does not want moved at all. They are happy to sign any document stating this. Would this cover me if attached to E.I.C and all other issues were resolved?

If it is dangerous you could leave the circuit disconnected. But I'm guessing it's been there for years and switch is undamaged ? If so, my 20p worth is - a C3 on the report with comment noting your advice and Customer instructions.

What's the issue, is the customer not paying?

PS Sorry just re read your post.

If it is dangerous you could leave the circuit disconnected. But I'm guessing it's been there for years and switch is undamaged ? If so, my 20p worth is - a C3 on the report with comment noting your advice and Customer instructions.

Within 600m2 and has incorporated socket as well. Would you not give this a C2? Customer has been brilliant throughout and paid promptly but the switch has been there for years and they do not want a blank plate floating on the tiles.

I will draft up a letter and add this too the final E.I.C aswell.

I don't do EICR's.

I'm not quite sure why an EICR is required before an EIC for a CU change? Unless there is something obviously dangerous with the install prior to starting the work, which the customer didn't want doing or paying for (in which case I would not start or do the job).

Any faults or alterations could be covered in an EIC, or am I wrong?

I understand, some large installations would probably require an EICR before any work is done, but run of mill jobs? Does the customer pay for the EICR on top of the work for the CU change?

So yes it was only a verbal agreement prior to starting the job but an E.I.C would have to be issued following a c/u change as this is notifiable to building control. Therefore the cooker circuit has technically been worked on.

I did the work, upgraded the bonding and then carried out the E.I.C.R (i did give the original c/u a quick look prior to check no VIR cables were present) the only issue left to be able to sign off the work is the cooker switch.

If a written document stating that the customer does not want the switch moved in any case can be issued along with the E.I.C then that is what i will do.

As I said I don't do EICR's. However, if it was me, I would just note on the cert' what you have said here, and customers comments & instruction. I don't think the location is in BS7671, but recommendation in Building Regs. It's not as if you've installed the cooker control in this location.

I always email or send a written quotation, with T&C's. Saves any fall outs, and also gives your customer time to consider.

Which scheme are you in?

Within 600m2 and has incorporated socket as well. Would you not give this a C2?
You will know best, as I can't see it and 600m2 doesn't really help me visualise :)
But C2 is potentially dangerous with urgent remedial action required. If it's been there for 10 years without incident and is undamaged by heat etc then it can't be very high potential risk or very urgent, was my thought for it being just C3. I still move them and I've polished up my tiling skills now so I can do a better repair to the splash back :)

Thanks all. I am with Stroma. Midwest I do as well for all my jobs, quoted and invoiced and certified via email and printed documents. Just had the green light from customer at the start so wasn't going to hang about.

Thanks all. I am with Stroma. Midwest I do as well for all my jobs, quoted and invoiced and certified via email and printed documents. Just had the green light from customer at the start so wasn't going to hang about.

Ok cool. I was going to say that I drew up my T&C's from my scheme (Elecsa), who have a pdf file members can copy. Quite good actually, added & change it a bit.

I am not sure how you can justify a full EICR before a CU change.....

As for the cooker switch..... This position is not unusual in older properties.

C3 and comment only

A written note from a customer does not overrule the requirements of bs7671, you should have identified the issue beforehand starting work, not after.
it is a deviation from bs7671 Andy you should record it appropriately on the certificate, and be sure that you can justify the deviation with sound technical reasoning.

Why are you carrying out an eicr after a CU change? You should be carrying out inspection and testing and issuing an eic

I believe Storma "rules" dictate an EICR before a consumer unit change.
That was what I was told when I joined their scheme.

^^^

I'm with Stroma and this is new to me... Sure make a site assessment but most cu changes simply don't require an EICR before a change....

Within 600m2 and has incorporated socket as well. Would you not give this a C2? Customer has been brilliant throughout and paid promptly but the switch has been there for years and they do not want a blank plate floating on the tiles.

I will draft up a letter and add this too the final E.I.C aswell.
That's a big area! (my bold)
Or did you mean within 600mm?

Regard a pre work Eicr.I thought it was only Nicy that made up fairy stories about this needless work that wouldmake their members less competitive
It seems these Stroma new guns are learning off the masters of the manipulation of a trade

There is very little need to burden a customer with office based needless work,a consumer unit change seems to be morphing into one big over inflated task these days

Hi Pat - pleased to say they've left me off that instruction. Did they give it in writing?

They can shove that where the sun don't shine.

The only time I "insist" on an EICR before a CU change is on older or bodged properties....

Reply to Written consent from customer. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock