Discuss Wrong halogen downlight connections? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Strudel

Hello,

I'm not an electrician and I'd be really grateful if one of you pros could help me out:

I recently moved from a property that I was renting. When I first moved in to this property 4 years ago I noticed that my halogen downlights were failing to work after as short a period as 1 or 2 weeks. I told my landlord about this and he said 'that's just the way it is with downlights' and didn't investigate the problem. I got fed up with the expense of having to replace these downlights continuously and got to the stage of living in semi-darkness.

About 3 years into my tenancy I bumped into my landlord's assistant and told him about the downlights. He told me that they'd had a similar problem with another property and that I probably had the wrong 'connections' (I'm not sure if this is the right word I should be using). An electrician came around and did something to my connections and replaced the halogen bulbs which had 2 pins in them with bulbs that had 2 knobs in them that were twisted in (I believe these are called GU10).

Please would someone tell me what they think was the problem and the implications of this. My landlord has always been very difficult and now that I've left my property I'm preparing myself for him to be unreasonable when it comes to returning my deposit. Will this give me a card up my sleeve if he does cause me any problems?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Sounds like the electrician changed the extra low voltage spot lights you had for low voltage GU10 ones.

The ELV ones are more prone to failing as the lamp, lamp holder or transformer commonly fail. GU10s are better theres no tramsformer and they dont fail as often

There was no wrong with the ELV spots being in so no unfortunately this doesnt give you a card up your sleeve.

as above^^^ , but he can't hold on to your deposit without good reason. e.g. damage to the property.

When the original ELV lamps where being replaced you probably touched the glass with your fingers causing hot spots and therefore reduced lamp life.

When the original ELV lamps where being replaced you probably touched the glass with your fingers causing hot spots and therefore reduced lamp life.

Open recess halogens were banned years ago and only lamps with a glass front should be used now so you cant actually touch the inner bulb itself now, you may be confusing with other types of halogen lamps like flood lights where you need to avoid touching for the reasons you mentioned.

Sounds like the electrician changed the extra low voltage spot lights you had for low voltage GU10 ones.

The ELV ones are more prone to failing as the lamp, lamp holder or transformer commonly fail. GU10s are better theres no tramsformer and they dont fail as often

There was no wrong with the ELV spots being in so no unfortunately this doesnt give you a card up your sleeve.

I have to disagree with this as I have had far more premature GU10 failures than MR16.

i've never seen a GU10 with it's pins blackened and burnt, and the lamp holder in the same state.

I beg to differ ET' the original argument was that MR16's were the most effective for reducing thermal shock of the filament thus lamp life was greater but now GU10 have energy efficient alternatives (CFL's and LED's) which dont suffer from the premature failure associated with thermal shock neither do they have the pitfall of MR16's which are notorious for the lampholders failing thus repeated premature lamp failures due to overheating at the pins.
Had you popped on here before hand we could have suggested replacing the lampholders of the MR16's at around £1 each and investing in a recognised quality brand of lamp and this would have seen your problem solved.

Reply to Wrong halogen downlight connections? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net