Discuss Wylex bs 4293 100ma type s RCD Tripping times in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the tripping times for an Wylex bs 4293 100ma type s RCD are? Ive been searching the net and just keep getting more and more confused about this i know an bs6009/9 should trip within 130ms-500ms but cant make headway for the tripping times for an older bs4293 rcd.

Summer wiring matters

page 3 of 5... says 4293 was replaced by 61008, so should be same as requirements for 61008 S type but ...

page 5 of 5 gives the actual trip times required

Found that

Whats the rated time delay?
Or you don't know and that's the problem?Interesting thread about it here
One guy got told the 100ma type s wylex 4239 was 500ms, looks like you might need to contact them!

Last edited by a moderator:
BS 4293 RCDs are the general purpose, stand alone, types that were quite common years ago, but were phased out in the early 1990s. Most commonly found as a front end RCD of TT installation.
When testing BS 4293 type RCDs the testing method is the same as normal. @1/2xIΔn on both + and - phases, the RCD should not trip within 2s. The RCD must operate within 200mS @1xIΔn on both + and - phases (Note this is shorter than the BS EN 61008 RCDs we are familiar with). On 30mA RCDs @5xIΔn on both + and - phases, the RCD should trip within 40ms.
If it's a BS4293 S type (time-delay) RCDs the testing method is a little different, first you need to select the RCD time-delay test mode and perform 1/2xIΔn on both + and - phases, the RCD should not trip within 2s, as normal. Followed by 1xIΔn on both + and - phases, there is a 200ms time-delay and 200ms fault time i.e. the RCD should trip within 201-400ms@1xIΔn. Most testers don't allow testing at 5xIΔn in this mode, so it is inhibited automatically, the result is not required anyway even if the test is performed.
BS 4293 RCDs have since been replaced by the BS EN 61008 types.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Wylex bs 4293 100ma type s RCD Tripping times in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net