Discuss Wylex MCBs then and now... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If they're "NHX" MCBs then yes, they're compatible with both types of bus bar (balcony and cage). Same applies to the old (tall) "NHXS" RCBOs

The newer "NHXL" MCBs only fit with the cage style bus bars - same applies to the newer reduced height "NHS1" RCBOs.

Essentially, the newer MCBs and the mini-RCBOs don't have the slot near the cage screw to go on to the "balcony" bus bar - but the cage connections line up fine, and you can mix and match.

Wylex MCBs then and now... Screenshot 2020-06-16 at 20.19.57 - EletriciansForums.net

If they're "NHX" MCBs then yes, they're compatible with both types of bus bar (balcony and cage). Same applies to the old (tall) "NHXS" RCBOs

The newer "NHXL" MCBs only fit with the cage style bus bars - same applies to the newer reduced height "NHS1" RCBOs.

Essentially, the newer MCBs and the mini-RCBOs don't have the slot near the cage screw to go on to the "balcony" bus bar - but the cage connections line up fine, and you can mix and match.

View attachment 58883
That clears it up nicely. Thanks happysteve!!!

Wylex told me (in writing) that you can’t mix n match their ranges. Even if they fit they aren’t type tested against earlier models.

Just to resurrect an older thread - I ran into this in real life today - and the NHX MCB that I picked up from toolstation definitely does not properly fit with NSB breakers, using a flexible cage type busbar.

It doesn't line up well even before the busbar went on, though I was able to get it to fit with what I consider a reasonable grip on the busbar, and decided to leave it for now since it was replacing a 32A on a 2.5mm radial running kitchen and downstairs sockets for a small house.

However, the fronts don't line up and the front was a pig to get back on so will likely need to change it when i go back to resolve the various issues the EICR found...

Piccies:

Wylex MCBs then and now... 2020-09-02 15.13.03 - EletriciansForums.net Wylex MCBs then and now... 2020-09-02 15.15.23 - EletriciansForums.net Wylex MCBs then and now... 2020-09-02 15.48.35 - EletriciansForums.net

it doesn't look to me as if the "balcony" type busbar would fit properly either, since the breaker is physically bigger in all directions.

Anyone know if there are any versions that would fit and are still available?

Is it just me, or does it seems like all the manufacturers are trying to drum up extra trade by deliberately changing their products just enough to require new boards...?

old adage... if you can't fit it with a hammer, it don't fit.

Nearly came to that with the front - the new MCB doesn't line up with the hole so the plastic is nicely bulging getting the lid screwed on tight - It will have to do until I can find a better solution.
[automerge]1599075418[/automerge]
Hmm. TLC are claiming that the NHXB20 are a direct replacement for NSB, but in their picture the switch is black, while the one I got from Toolstation has a dark grey switch (even though their website picture is black)

Have they changed production recently or something? Or was there more than one generation of NSB?? :confused:

Last edited:
Nearly came to that with the front - the new MCB doesn't line up with the hole so the plastic is nicely bulging getting the lid screwed on tight - It will have to do until I can find a better solution.
[automerge]1599075418[/automerge]
Hmm. TLC are claiming that the NHXB20 are a direct replacement for NSB, but in their picture the switch is black, while the one I got from Toolstation has a dark grey switch (even though their website picture is black)

Have they changed production recently or something? Or was there more than one generation of NSB?? :confused:
I have a Wylex NSB20 kicking about if you need one.

First week on the job, a spotty faced 16yr old, and my old chief says to me "Learn this one thing: Second hardest part of being a sparky is getting the case off. Hardest part is getting it back on again". Over three decades later and I've still yet to disprove him!! :D

I have a Wylex NSB20 kicking about if you need one.
Buckfast is kindly sorting me out - but seems like Wylex are added to the list of changing compatibility.

Schneider seem to be making a point of their Easy 9 breakers fitting several older brands that they've collected over the years (Square D Domae is one I know of) - Shame that others can't do the same.

Or come up with an actual standard for breakers - which is the way it should have been done originally imo... (no doubt the manufacturers would ensure that never happens)

Wylex are one of the worst for it among others, so many different designs. I don't really use hager, but they don't seem to change their design much and it makes life easier for everyone.

I notice in that photo the older Wylex ones say Made in England. The new ones say nothing, though on RS they are reported as country of origin is China.

That alone is nothing unusual, I bet the majority of electrical stuff is, even if the "manufacturers" don't tell you. But what is ----poor is the lack of direct compatibility given they are the ones making the design. I mean FFS how hard is it to keep the same basic dimensions?

Last edited:

Reply to Wylex MCBs then and now... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock