Discuss Wylex old style breakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Cat

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Anyone know what the breaking capacity of an old style plug in MCB on a Wylex board. The breakers are 6 and 16 Amp. Am i right in putting them down as BS3871? Cheers.

are they the push button type, or the later flip switch ones?

the flip ones are bs60898, so should be 6kA

the push buttons are bs3871 and the kA rating is preceded by the letter M. e.g. M1=1kA, M1.5=1.5kA, M4 = 4kA etc.

Last edited:
the flip ones are bs60898, so should be 6kV

the push buttons are bs3871 and the kV rating is preceded by the letter M. e.g. M1=1kV, M1.5=1.5kV, M4 = 4kV etc.

Thanks Tel, you should be called The Oracle! :oops: someone else has that name, not heard from him for a while though........... i wonder why:innocent:

Early 'flip' ones are BS3871, especially if there are no markings on them. They only became 60898 later and are marked thus.
I thought the early ones (again usually no markings) were 2kA. Later ones are marked with the 6kA symbol.
The push buttom ones are 1kA I think

was thinking of the ones i have seen. so won't argue with that, and the KV was a typo.LOL.

POST EDITED TO CORRECT.

Last edited:
Early 'flip' ones are BS3871, especially if there are no markings on them. They only became 60898 later and are marked thus.
I thought the early ones (again usually no markings) were 2kA. Later ones are marked with the 6kA symbol.
The push buttom ones are 1kA I think

the earlier flip ones most are 3kA. the later 6kA. the push button 3871's are varied as my earlier post, from 1kA upwards, usually to 3 or 4 kA.

Last edited:

Reply to Wylex old style breakers in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Extremely low voltage on 120v line Hi, I’m not an electrician but my home has 20 amp breaker that has only one outdoor outlet on it with a GFCI...
Replies
Views
I am upgrading garage lighting. I have installed 12 40W batten lights (cheap Amazon variety - don’t have specs). 6A breaker in Garage consumer...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just to be clear, I'm not looking for advice on upgrading but rather just clarification of our existing setup. We need to upgrade the...
Replies
Views
Woke up this morning and tried to turn on the computer (work from home) wouldn't power on, checked lights they worked fine. Went downstairs to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Was speaking to a family member recently, he told me his iron recently made a bang and flash as he plugged it in to the socket, and could...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock