Discuss Yet another flippin hot tub in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

grumpyjohn01

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
One of my favourite customers (also my hairdresser !) has asked me to provide a socket for her recent purchase...
' Don't worry she says, its plug & play, just a normal socket..'
The electrical guidance is attached, can anyone spot what's wrong ? apart from..er..everything.
No mention of class 1 or 2 earthing bonding etc. They want a length of flex with a rubber plug top attached, aparently they don't mind connecting the flying end just not the plug..?!?
Presumably this is an imported unit, are they working around product standards in some way and shifting some liability to the sparky supplying what they ask for?

Attachments

• 013 - electrical-plan 13amp new.pdf
    771.6 KB · Views: 45
plug and play hot tubs are just that. just plug the thing into a socket. The supplied flex comes with an integral 10mA RCD. as long as the socket used is compliant with regs. that's all she wrote.

I’ve had that where the hot tub was much bigger and instructions said to leave a 32A rotary isolator with a length of flex.

I refused, saying I couldn’t leave a cut end of flex with the possibility of it being turned on.

ended up padlocking the isolator off, and they had to phone me to say the tub had been delivered and being connected.

2 hours off another job to go retrieve my padlock.

plug and play hot tubs are just that. just plug the thing into a socket. The supplied flex comes with an integral 10mA RCD. as long as the socket used is compliant with regs. that's all she wrote.
Going to ring them today, they want me to supply flex and plug top, no mention of a 10mA RCD just says RCD protected socket..Have a look at pdf they specify 2.5mm 'cable' into a plug top , double socket (? single better surely...) and the socket appears to have some kind of antenna.....?

I’ve had that where the hot tub was much bigger and instructions said to leave a 32A rotary isolator with a length of flex.

I refused, saying I couldn’t leave a cut end of flex with the possibility of it being turned on.

ended up padlocking the isolator off, and they had to phone me to say the tub had been delivered and being connected.

2 hours off another job to go retrieve my padlock.
Yes I've had that too, used a cable tie to lock off with a stern warning notice as I wasn't able to attend on the day.

Going to ring them today, they want me to supply flex and plug top, no mention of a 10mA RCD just says RCD protected socket..Have a look at pdf they specify 2.5mm 'cable' into a plug top , double socket (? single better surely...) and the socket appears to have some kind of antenna.....?
I think the "antenna" is an earth (or really "chassis") symbol upside down:

I guess this is implying it has to be earthed, but is that really saying it has to be TT'd?

Specifying 2.5mm cable seems a bit over the top, unless they also assume folks will plug it in something like 50-100m away from the house!

I think the "antenna" is an earth (or really "chassis") symbol upside down:

I guess this is implying it has to be earthed, but is that really saying it has to be TT'd?

Specifying 2.5mm cable seems a bit over the top, unless they also assume folks will plug it in something like 50-100m away from the house!
Yes , same thoughts on earth, I gathered it wasn't really an antenna but maybe they are implying TT??
AFAIK 1.25mm is the max permitted conductor size in a plug top..though 1.5 fits without any real trouble. I have seen 2.5 twin b*ggered in to a plug top but I doubt 2.5 3c tough rubber flex will fit any sense.

Update: I spoke to a 'technical' person yesterday , The 2.5 cable should be 1.5 flex ( still too big IMHO but we'll let that go..., she agreed that a single socket would be better than a double and didn't know what the chassis earth meant didn't think it implied TT & that as far as she knew its a class II appliance.
Amazed that they don't seem to have anything clearer, you would have thought clear tech guidance should be a priority..!

Reply to Yet another flippin hot tub in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net