Discuss yet another poor installation in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

tawraste

hi all,
went round a friend's house today - he gave me a call and asked if i would look at his electrical installation as he thought some things weren't 'quite right'.

i had no intention of doing any work, this is more experience for me as i'm still learning.

first up - tails from the meter to an isolator. great. tails from isolator to distribution board with several inches of insulation removed and replaced with 99p electrical tape !!!!!!! no records or certificates. house only 7 or 8 years old.

straight away i said get a registered guy in here to change those tails and do a periodic inspection.

other things included a spur going from the island in the middle of the kitchen to an under the counter at the side of the room double socket connected with just plain old white cord. the origin of the spur was next to a washing machine - which has leaked in the past... so white cord coming from the double socket (did i mention it was a dry lined box mounted on the surface with massive holes in the sides?) connected to more white cord with a chock block 10mm from the concrete floor. mad thing is that above the spur under the counter is another double socket which would have required less than 18inches of twin and earth !
then the swa going to the pond and fountain not earthed by conductor or sheath and not glanded.....
then single sockets mounted next to doubles in the living room but spurred from side wall mounted lights instead of from the neighbouring double sockets...
then a bit of twin and earth 2.5mm popping out the outside of the house and terminated in a non weatherproof enclosure...(with yes a 1inch hole in the side)
then the crossbonding clamps having corroded off but not terminated in the clamp correctly anyway...
then numerous spurs from ring mains connected with.... light switches !
then a random run of 2.5mm t&e running from a double socket to a smashed up junction box...

about the only good thing i saw was the correct size bonding conductors for main services and an actual main earth terminal.

wow!

i think he's gonna try and sue lol.

a lot of this rubbish can easily be dealt with by simply removing it, only the tails themselves actually need replacing.
i was wondering how removals of things like spurs and cables that go nowhere are dealt with on reports? there's a lot of focus on what you install, but not much info on what you remove.

Stories like this make me so paranoid about who I learn from, if I get a dodgy spark as my mentor I am gonna end up a dodgy spark.....I dont wantto be a dodgy spark!! :(

i think even an apprentice on their first day would have spotted this lot. even if they'd never done any study of any description!

Stories like this make me so paranoid about who I learn from, if I get a dodgy spark as my mentor I am gonna end up a dodgy spark.....I dont wantto be a dodgy spark!! :(

Ryan trust me when I say its up to you when training I worked with about 10 guys and one was as you say dodgy his work only made me ensure that I never did a job like that

You'll be surprised how easy it is to spot bad workmanship.

The majority of the time, if it doesn't look right then it normally isn't. Don't be afraid to walk away if you have any doubts OR try and get some photos on the sly and post them on here and ask for an experts opinion:thumbsup

Reply to yet another poor installation in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock