Discuss Yet another spark robbing customers! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just got back from a customer who has asked me to quote for rectifying some issues brought to light during a recent inspection. The customer came to me because the previous spark had let him down and failed to turn up when supposed to on four different occasions.

Turns out this NIC 'approved' contractor had given the customer a PIR instead of EICR and made up a bunch of pony recommendations and codes in order to get more work. I'm slightly confused as to why he didn't follow through with his robbery as it seems it would have been easy money but essentially, the customer now knows he may as well have been given a blank piece of paper and I have now been tasked with providing yet another report for the customer, at more expense. At least this time it will be worth something!

Here's an example of some of the codes given:

- No RCD protection - Code 2? (not needed as install is pre 16th)
- No circuit charts - Code 2?
- Non working light - Code 1???????
- Old DB needs removing - Code 1? (Bearing in mind it was dead and not connected to anything)
- Three cracked sockets - Code 1 (made up)
- Exposed wires in light fitting - Code 1 (made up)

And after all of this, there was not a cross or a LIM in sight on the schedule of inspections?!?!? Surely if there are exposed live wires, the requirements for basic protection haven't been met at least?

Shame as this customer can't exchange his lease with the new buyer without the report which is being requested by the freeholder before he is prepared to sign the relevant paperwork.

I'm just ranting now because I hate robbing ba****ds and it just goes to show, yet again, that being an NIC 'approved' contractor, or for that matter an approved contractor with any of the other scam schemes isn't worth the paper it's written on! :mad::mad::mad:

I've got the details of the contractor. Name, address and phone number and have been given free reign to do as I please with those details as soon as I'm finished with the customer. Oh am I hoping to have some fun!!!

D Skelton;569749 - No RCD protection - Code 2? (not needed as install is pre 16th) [/QUOTE said:
I may have just given him that one, especially if there was evidence of sockets being used for outside use, bathroom with no supplementary or main bonding. But your quite right pre 16th there would have been no need for RCDs on a TN system.

But quite right DS on the rest, perhaps he as had a pang of conscious

string him up!,,,!,,!
so ru ringing trading standards,labc,nic'that guy off the tely and finnaly him to call him a joke to the profetion?

string him up!,,,!,,!
so ru ringing trading standards,labc,nic'that guy off the tely and finnaly him to call him a joke to the profetion?

Haha, maybe... just maybe :D

I've got a 100% success rate so far at getting ripped off customers their money back! Only one customer so far that I've helped but still a 100% success rate!!! :D :D :D

Probably ring him and give him the chance to give the customer his money back or i'll report him to the NIC. Then report him anyway regardless of what he says or does. Mind you, what are the NIC gonna do? They've got his money, they're not exactly gonna bin him off their books are they!

In todays society, the best I can probably do in this situation is give him an earfull on his doorstep! Go all Dominic Littlewood on his a** :32:

Your dead right, being approved contractor or DI or whatever isn't worth the paper it's written on. At the end of the day they want your money. If they policed it and kept stringent checks then they would probably only have about a third of the members they have now and that means loss of earnings or the price tripling.

Be careful what you do with his details, you may not have the full story, and as he didn't follow through and address any of the works and charge for them he effectively is only guilty of misleading for gain or even stupidity in his knowledge. Either way you could be the one in court for slander and deformation of character which can carry a hefty fine.
Best thing here is to report it to the Niceic for what its worth but nothing will come of it and thats a different argument altogether but at least they should contact him which may make him think twice.

Me personally would ring him as a relative who is an electrician and ask him to explain himself or you'll report him to both the Niceic and the police for attempting to gain money by deception.... this should make his butt-cheeks tighten.

Nope, no bathroom and no outside use :)

Yet another spark robbing customers! {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

No bathroom mate ....they maybe in need of one of these

Be careful what you do with his details, you may not have the full story, and as he didn't follow through and address any of the works and charge for them he effectively is only guilty of misleading for gain or even stupidity in his knowledge. Either way you could be the one in court for slander and deformation of character which can carry a hefty fine.
Best thing here is to report it to the Niceic for what its worth but nothing will come of it and thats a different argument altogether but at least they should contact him which may make him think twice.

Me personally would ring him as a relative who is an electrician and ask him to explain himself or you'll report him to both the Niceic and the police for attempting to gain money by deception.... this should make his butt-cheeks tighten.

You're totally right, I won't slander his name, however that ain't gonna stop me confronting him over it :D

As frustrating a situation as it is , dont let it become a personal crusade - extra work and recommendation from the customer is ample reward for your honesty and vigilance.
Theres plenty of cowboys out there but chasing them for justice is not a profitable way of spending your time.
My advice is given with good intensions.

it is annoying, this kind of thing, but as already said, nic won't be interested in complaints from another spark, only 3rd party, ie customer.

take the work, and as much as i agree with you, 'confronting' the person who's done it could turn against you. just reading your post made me think that if anyone 'confronted' me in that way i'd put their lights out!

it happens all the time, and until there's anything constructive to be done about it, it's the good sparks that bear the brunt!

Personally I don't like all this encouraging of sparks grassing each other up to all and sundry over differences of opinion. Ok some of his code 1's are fairly laughable but maybe the guy was just an idiot and its not as if he actually charged them or even quoted them for any more work.
Maybe he was touting for work...
Maybe he was just a bit simple.
Live and let live I says

The fact is if you got 10 sparks to do an EICR on the same property, I doubt any two of them would have identical findings.
Does this mean nine of them should be locked up?
Apparently so.....

take the work, and as much as i agree with you, 'confronting' the person who's done it could turn against you. just reading your post made me think that if anyone 'confronted' me in that way i'd put their lights out!

I've already started drafting a short letter that I'll be hand delivering to him. The fact is, he's working outside the scope of the regs and robbing people blind. He only lives two blocks down from me so if he wants to 'put my lights out' for that, he's more than welcome to try! :D

I'm not sure about all this NIC bashing that goes on.....On our annual inspection the guy is always pretty thorough.......If a contractor is sub-standard they will get found out and dealt with sooner rather than later.

I've already started drafting a short letter that I'll be hand delivering to him. The fact is, he's working outside the scope of the regs and robbing people blind. He only lives two blocks down from me so if he wants to 'put my lights out' for that, he's more than welcome to try! :D

And what authority do you have to be telling other contractors whats what ?
You need to step back from this.

Reply to Yet another spark robbing customers! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock