Discuss You gotta laugh.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 9648

Went to an educational establishment today which is a regular client,the complaint being an external RCD socket tripping instantly every time it is switched on even with nothing plugged in. Knowing from a previous EICR that the offending socket was an MK masterseal I went equipped with a new unit,but just a standard switched masterseal as I also knew the circuit has RCBO protection in the DB and those RCD sockets aint cheap.
The maintenance bod there was appalled,and despite my best attempts to explain the pointlessness of an RCD socket he insisted it had to be an RCD socket as "the one at the mains is too far away, and if that trips there will still be a current flow in the rest of the cable untill it is empty so to speak. So unless the RCD is at the socket you'll still be electrocuted"

So I'll be back next week with an MK masterseal RCD socket......£££££ wasted and a new electrical theory learnt.

Every days a school day.

I would have gone to the headmaster/mistress and explained the situe' and if they still want to do as the maintenance requested it will cost 2 call out and a restock charge for the unused socket, also explaining that it doesn't comply to regulations as it stands, mentioning the maintenance guys knowledge of electrics is something to desired - unless of course you got your feet under the table and its not worth ruffling the feathers.

I would have gone to the headmaster/mistress and explained the situe' and if they still want to do as the maintenance requested it will cost 2 call out and a restock charge for the unused socket, also explaining that it doesn't comply to regulations as it stands, mentioning the maintenance guys knowledge of electrics is something to desired - unless of course you got your feet under the table and its not worth ruffling the feathers.

Summed it up nicely there!! The calls come from them.
I will issue a MW though, which will state that the RCD socket was installed on the insistance of the maintenance dept despite not being required. I doubt they'll even read it but it'll cover me.

Went to an educational establishment today which is a regular client,the complaint being an external RCD socket tripping instantly every time it is switched on even with nothing plugged in. Knowing from a previous EICR that the offending socket was an MK masterseal I went equipped with a new unit,but just a standard switched masterseal as I also knew the circuit has RCBO protection in the DB and those RCD sockets aint cheap.
The maintenance bod there was appalled,and despite my best attempts to explain the pointlessness of an RCD socket he insisted it had to be an RCD socket as "the one at the mains is too far away, and if that trips there will still be a current flow in the rest of the cable untill it is empty so to speak. So unless the RCD is at the socket you'll still be electrocuted"

So I'll be back next week with an MK masterseal RCD socket......£££££ wasted and a new electrical theory learnt.

Every days a school day.

Any betting we have a plumber here

So the conversation goes,
All the lights on the entire floor are not working !! (Its an open plan office) and plenty of windows for natural light to flood in.
Must be a phase down, or something along those lines, me thinks as I plod through the traffic.
When on site, and through the background rumble of tele sales conversations as they do there sales pitch thing.
I am approached by a tall skinny irate character who says no lights since this morning, its now 11 am, its simply not good enough, and I have called H&S because non of the emergency lights are operating.
Mmmmm, strange!! Because all the led's on the e/m's are illuminated ??
I glance at the grid switch by the main lobby door (Its just a few meters away from us)
Click, Click, Click, Click, and Click as one by one I turn them on and bank by bank 600x600 fittings burst into life illuminating all and sundry.
I explain to him that what he has just witnessed is a normal requirement for his lights to work, its called switching them on.
H&S are on sight (its one of there in house guys)
The tall one is apparently one of there directors.
I am requested to label the top of the grid switch OFF and the bottom ON to save future confusion.
One call out charge invoice issued (who cares) just bite me tongue and save the chuckles for when I'm outside.

Whilst on the subject of plumbers,I did a callout thursday to an assisted flat where the complaint was 'new dishwasher problem,plumber has attended,caused £600 worth of damage to the flat below after failing to connect the water correctly,plumber says there's no power at the socket so it's still not working and advised calling an electrician'.

I attend,plug in earth loop...no power...look behind bread bin on worktop,switch on FCU,power to socket. A bad day in plumber land.

Reply to You gotta laugh.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock