Discuss You think you’ve got problems with 17th boards? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

One assumes no longer in actual service but kept for history??

If it wasn't for the bombing raids and reconstruction of the 40's/50's, I wonder if similar examples might still exist in blighty?

Similar gear does exist in Blighty Chris. Take a look through Lord Armstrong's old gaffe, Cragside. It's a national trust property now out in the wilds of Northumberland. Well worth a visit if you're ever in the area.
First house in the world to use hydroelectricity

Similar gear does exist in Blighty Chris. Take a look through Lord Armstrong's old gaffe, Cragside. It's a national trust property now out in the wilds of Northumberland. Well worth a visit if you're ever in the area.
First house in the world to use hydroelectricity
first house to utilise electricity.....1870.....they had a powerhouse there with a water turbine for the power generation....he used to invite potential customers there and all that new technology as it was then ......was his way of showcasing his companys abilities and acheavements......mostly military stuff though...such as the "armstrong" breach loading gun.....quite a new thing for the 1860s......

I'm not so sure about the first house to use electricity mate, I know it was the first for hydro. I may be wrong however, it wouldn't be the first time.
Armstrong was big on his toys mind you, his house is amazing lots of fantasic innovations that were way ahead of their time. Liked his military stuff that was mainly how he made his fortune but he made possible a lot of the things we take for granted today.

I'm not so sure about the first house to use electricity mate, I know it was the first for hydro. I may be wrong however, it wouldn't be the first time.
Armstrong was big on his toys mind you, his house is amazing lots of fantasic innovations that were way ahead of their time. Liked his military stuff that was mainly how he made his fortune but he made possible a lot of the things we take for granted today.
well i would say him and nikola tesla.....amongst others....

Last edited:
in fact there was an open university program about it the other day...but i only caught the last 5 mins of it......it was the second of three.....so i will have to look it up those.......it was going on about tesla`s polyphase system...and how westinghouse got his hands on it n all that.....shame i missed nearly all that really..but i`m sure it`l be on again sometime....

Shock And Awe The Story Of Electricity. I've seen the 2/3 episode scheduled on TV but I want to watch 1/1 first but I always miss it

Shock And Awe The Story Of Electricity. I've seen the 2/3 episode scheduled on TV but I want to watch 1/1 first but I always miss it

episode 2 is on BBC iplayer now,episode 3 is on saturday,20:00 on BBC four in case anyone else wants to watch.
Sorry trev1 but the first episode is not available to watch anymore,thanks for the details im gonna watch now

Reply to You think you’ve got problems with 17th boards? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net