Discuss Your background. in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Knobhead

OK this is the industrial forum, what industries do you lads work in?

First site where I served my apprenticeship

20090629d-03-498px.jpg

One of the places in bewteen

14577320.jpg

Last site before i packed up

cmp079s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Time served multiskilled ford apprentice,started in 1995 aged 19,quite rare as I had no parents or family working there,must have been on top blagging form the day of my interview.Was a superb apprenticeship but sadly for me I got tied up in the production element too much due to juniority and I felt that I lost a lot of my ability during those years,I adopted a more "keep it going" mentality rather than "hang on,let's find the cause of this,not the cure".Spent a few years on disc production,mainly transit then decided not to go to bridgend plant for a 50% paycut and stick it out in the Swansea plant.This was IMO when I became a real electrician,not just a firefighter,I learnt so much in the months that followed,as there were so few of us left I ended up working here there and everywhere,continually learning,enjoying and really getting a feel for it all,my pay packets looked pretty impressive then too,I basically earnt in a week what I'd previously earnt in a month! I had a great 14years in Swansea plant,but the recession caught up with us in the end and I took the money and run,took over an ailing business non electrical related (car body repairs) as it was always a dream of mine.Sadly it became a total nightmare,nearly cost me my house,relationship and my sanity,it was terrible and I ALWAYS warn people of the pitfalls of self employment,even if I sound doom and gloom.A hideous period of 4 months unemployment saw me hit a real low,the worst christmas on record for me,I just sat there depressed for a month in the same chair,had to rely on my missus and mother to help me out financially which is shameful,it just seemed every door was slammed in my face,like a recruitment agency not putting my cv online for 4 months and me wondering why I never got an interview,another firm,total timewasters,more interested in the cleanliness of my shoes rather than if I could actually do the job,which I could with my eyes closed.January brought better luck,a 3 week gig with my uncle working all over Scotland and Ireland,two places id never been up til this year and a lead off the Internet led me,like so many others to Aberdeen to look for work in oil.A superb agency,Carlton resourcing,were honest and helpful,basically spelling out oil was a no go without experience and with my cv I should look at factory work oil related then try to get offshore that way.Deflated,I phoned home and explained I'd be more than likely working away for the foreseeable future.As usual,my wonderful fiancé turned a negative into a positive and the job search began.It didn't take long,the next week I was in Aberdeen,ironically on my birthday going for an interview to work where I am now in a fine paper mills and to be honest it's great,I love it,it's just such a pleasure to be back in the swing of things,having a laugh,having a moan,getting paid etc and just enjoying life not worrying about the next debt recovery letter to land through my door,my postman thanked me as well,his rounds lighter and quicker now!!!!I can't believe I took my eye off the ball 2 years ago and gave up my sparkying,I honestly believe if I'd gone the route of self employed industrial spark I'd have done ok from it,rather than persue my dream of working with cars,a dream that nearly broke me.

I started working in houses when I first left the army doing re-wires ect. I then worked for a water feature company, doing electrical/mechanical and also spent some time working for their sister company who build switchgear and control panels. It was during my time with these, that I got off my backside and qualified. Left there to work on a power station and earn some decent cash. Since then I've done shopfitting, substations, LUL, back to the power station and now I'm working on a large contract for our local water board. I like doing different stuff and getting exp in different environments.

Last edited:
i worked on the build of it mate. 1st time i worked on the heavy side, and the instrumentation. it was all containment, and glanding & terminating. 2nd time i was doing small power and lighting. that time it weas trunking/tube and was wiring in singles.

My first job was keeping an eye on that light bulb Edison built, though he never looked liked Spencer Tracey ( one for the much older lads)

Done my time in the pit though was not a "Tattie", missed out on that which at the time was a let down as you earned more. Then in the late 80's worked overseas in the middle east and returning back to the UK in 2003 and started my own contractor business which I ended in 2009. Came back out to the Middle East again and still here.

About the only thing I have never worked on really is large industrial plants like Tony or HV stuff, leave the hV to lads with much bigger sacks than me.

Reply to Your background. in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net