Discuss Your thoughts on this problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

geordie

-
Arms
Reaction score
Last year we installed 20 odd 20w led floods in a church to replace there old 400 w floods. Now 3 unit have since failed the units are only used on. Sunday so very low usage. Now the manufacture of these unit offers a 1 year on site warranty great so they will come out and replace them.
Nope that is not the case the units are not covered by the warranty due to them being fitted inside when the instructions recommend outdoor use.
I will not name the manufacture but let's just say the Orange shed did there boards for £50

They are saying the driver in units over heat when inside. And as there ip rated you should not install inside. I am going to fight them there went all quiet when I asked for there test result to prove the driver over heats.

it's not as if the inside of a church is warm, though. ones i've been in are like fridges.

Their counter argument is very silly and I very much doubt it would stand up under scrutiny. It depends if you are happy to keep pushing them for replacements/refunds etc and perhaps take it to court. I think I would in this case simply because their reason would annoy me and plus they are at fault so you would have a pretty good chance of winning.

If they still dont give you a replacement/refund after you have given them a final chance then I would send them a rather official looking letter explaining you will be taking the matter to court and also add on £20 p/hour for whatever time you have taken to deal will this following the final chance. It worked for me the one and only time I have had to do it. Felt quite good actually!!

Ask around and see if you can get a no-win-no fee solicitor to take it on as a last resort. Civil law is very expensive!

Take some advice before hand and do your research regarding your own position. You have to make sure that you have not contravened Manufacturer's Instructions firstly and foremost otherwise you have no case to make.

When building a civil case, you have to start logically from the beginning. In your case it has to be from the design specification. Who designed the circuit? Who specified the fittings? If it was an architect for example, then they should have Professional Indemnity Insurance that covers them for bad advice.

If you gave bad advice ( I'm not saying you have) and you have PI insurance, you maybe covered under your insurance. (You have to weigh up the cost of replacement fittings versus excess and raised premiums).

Finally, if you think you are totally in the right, then there is also the chance of pressuring them with social/ press media ( be careful).

HTH.

You've not witnessed the fine sight of a Geordie Reverend chucking his fire & brimstone around at full chaff have you? :laugh:
Did a job at St Jude's at Laygate a few years back Fatha, wor Mutha'll kna it. The devil dodger there was a proper old fashioned one, used to shout and bawl at his flock of a Sunda by all accounts.

Did a job at St Jude's at Laygate a few years back Fatha, wor Mutha'll kna it. The devil dodger there was a proper old fashioned one, used to shout and bawl at his flock of a Sunda by all accounts.

Aye .. seen it mesel' ....... Ex-wife was a Methodist 'n' in the early days afore we wez even engaged she draggedis alang t' th' chapel one neet an' here's this gadgee shootin' 'n' baalin' aboot us all bein' sinners 'n' all an' gannin' t' Hell 'n' Damnation in a handcart so aah luked at him - all hard lyke an' as sez t' 'im "Whey the Hell are ye shootin 'n' baalin at .. caalin'me a sinner just cos aahm ganna shag the arse of yer Sunda Skyule Teacher here just as soon as ahh gerra ootta here???"

I wasn't invited back the following week! :)

Forgot to mention, the devil dodger at St Jude's. I "entertained" his daughter :)
And I'm not talking about telling jokes or playin me guitar

Reply to Your thoughts on this problem in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net