Discuss Your Top random 10 policies in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest77

As the title, whats your top random 10, mine as below, I have dozens, but lets talk first 10 which enter your head.

(1) Millionaires paying their fair share of tax, no tax havens.
(2) Ensure poverty for children is illiminated completely, full stop, end of
(3) Abandon the segregation of cultures/ religions
(4) Sensible public spending to ensure decent public services
(5) A proper state run NHS which is free to all
(6) Free school dinners for children up until the age of 7 and free nursery places for all children up until the age of 4
(7) A united kingdom with Scotland a part of
(8) A police force which is held to account
(9) VAT limited to 15% maximum
(10) Equal rights for disabled people which also means the end of the bedroom tax.

I have literally 100s of policies I would like to see, 100s, but named 10 at random to get the thread moving, post your top 10 up and lets see if any of us agree. I could have mentioned others as a priority but this 10 will do for the OP.

Seeing as you seem to be easing your way out of the electrical game, will you be standing as the Parliamentary candidate for Glouscester next time around? :)

can't argue with you there, mike. just item 3. a lot of the segregation you mention is cultivated by the ethnic minorities themselves. some just do not want to integrate or abide by our laws. to those that want to integrate, i say welcome. those that don't, pi$$ off back on the next boat.

As the title, whats your top random 10, mine as below, I have dozens, but lets talk first 10 which enter your head.

I have literally 100s of policies I would like to see, 100s, but named 10 at random to get the thread moving, post your top 10 up and lets see if any of us agree. I could have mentioned others as a priority but this 10 will do for the OP.

ha ha, you do realise that this is impossible don't you - by this I mean the way its calculated!

I don't find that funny bud, Why is that so hilarious?

Just to clarify its because the way the UK calculates this, isn't who can feed themselves or heat their home its all down to who is below the median income line and who is above..

So which means you can throw as much money as possible at the lower incomes, which I do applaud and the increase in the tax threshold has helped immensely for those working, but what ever you do, there will always be people/familes below the median income.

Poverty is no food, no shoes, etc

Just to clarify its because the way the UK calculates this, isn't who can feed themselves or heat their home its all down to who is below the median income line and who is above..

So which means you can throw as much money as possible at the lower incomes, which I do applaud and the increase in the tax threshold has helped immensely for those working, but what ever you do, there will always be people/familes below the median income.

Poverty is no food, no shoes, etc
Ah I see, sorry I misunderstood your first reply, apologies, you have a point about people below the income levels, never thought of that statistic.

Ah I see, sorry I misunderstood your first reply, apologies, you have a point about people below the income levels, never thought of that statistic.

Its all a bit of a mess.

Just consider tax credits - your income is topped up to a "level" - so you go and get a better job, and the tax credit is reduced, so why would you try and improve your income?

This alone is making people not bother.

Go back to pre tax credits (yes introduced by Mr Prudence Gordon Brown) and if you wanted more take home pay, you asked for a rise or got a better paying job.

Either way you instantly got more in your pocket.

For example

One of the Misses friends hubby walked out earlier this year - he's paying the 20% he's "obliged to" despite being on £56K - she has a part time job and doesn't earn much. So she applies for tax credits and gets an award of £800/month. So to get a higher income she needs to find a job which would pay at least £13500 more per year for it to be worth her while. And to to point out this would more than double her income per year, so this is never going to happen.

Make sense.

And in summary I think this is why social mobility has stalled.

Last edited by a moderator:
it's a contentious issue.. child poverty. .. if the family can't afford clothes and food for their kids, they need help. if they're down the pub or the bingo every night, then i have no sympathy.

(1) Millionaires paying their fair share of tax, no tax havens.
(3) Abandon the segregation of cultures/ religions
(4) Sensible public spending to ensure decent public services
(5) A proper state run NHS which is free to all
(6) Free school dinners for children up until the age of 7 and free nursery places for all children up until the age of 4
(7) A united kingdom with Scotland a part of
(8) A police force which is held to account
(9) VAT limited to 15% maximum
(10) Equal rights for disabled people which also means the end of the bedroom tax.

No great disagreement with that but a couple I would add.
I'd like to see the benefits system overhauled to make it simpler to operate and to police with a maximum per family/individual.
I think child benefit should be applicable for the first two only.
And MP benefits should be scrutinised and accountable in the same detail as mine.
Every trip I make has to be detailed down to the very last penny. Together with where I went, company name, who I saw, the purpose of the visit and, if it's a paid visit, customer reference and order number.

Sounds like a ball-ache, but having a spreadsheet means you just have to enter the required data.
But if I can, why can't MPs.

And one other thing. Why on earth do we need 600 MPs many of whom don't attend for much of the Parliamentary business. But if the Cabinet decides that an issue is sufficiently critical, the whip comes out and we get a full house.
Then the MPs vote they way their party leaders tell them to vote.
How democratic is that?

it's a contentious issue.. child poverty. .. if the family can't afford clothes and food for their kids, they need help. if they're down the pub or the bingo every night, then i have no sympathy.
This is the problem with it - putting an end to 'child poverty' sounds like a lovely idea, but almost without exception you have to go through the parents, so in reality it's putting an end to 'family poverty', which will further some people's idea of a having a child as a meal ticket. 'Putting an end to child poverty' then becomes dishing out extra money to spend down the bingo or pub. Yes the parents are stealing food out of the mouths of their own children, which is disgusting behaviour, but who wants to stand up and call them bad parents and tell them they can't afford full Sky HD in every room and takeaways every night?
My solution to this would be supervised accommodation with communal facilities for kids to do their homework and get a nutritious meal, where parents who are struggling can get help with the laundry or childcare, but also where you can see if the parents are staggering home drunk every night.
Call it 'segregation' or a 'modern day poor house' if you want, but I see it as a more effective way of keeping children out of poverty without simply throwing money at every girl who gets pregnant. If you want luxury items, go out and work for them.

Its all a bit of a mess.

Just consider tax credits - your income is topped up to a "level" - so you go and get a better job, and the tax credit is reduced, so why would you try and improve your income?

This alone is making people not bother.

Go back to pre tax credits (yes introduced by Mr Prudence Gordon Brown) and if you wanted more take home pay, you asked for a rise or got a better paying job.

Either way you instantly got more in your pocket.

For example

One of the Misses friends hubby walked out earlier this year - he's paying the 20% he's "obliged to" despite being on £56K - she has a part time job and doesn't earn much. So she applies for tax credits and gets an award of £800/month. So to get a higher income she needs to find a job which would pay at least £13500 more per year for it to be worth her while. And to to point out this would more than double her income per year, so this is never going to happen.

Make sense.

And in summary I think this is why social mobility has stalled.

14 hours and no comments - amazing!

1 An end to the teaching of religion as fact in schools, you may as well teach kids that the cat in the hat is real. Replace it with more citizenship type lessons, teach them about their rights AND responsibilities.

2 Regulation of the banking system. It is this that is largely responsible for the state of the country's finances.

3 An end to the bedroom tax. There are not enough 1 and 2 bedroom properties in the social/private sector

4 A programme of building social housing.

5 Stop the stealth privatisation of the NHS.

6 Get rid of the work programme, it has been proven not to be working

7 Greater accountability for MPs coupled with an end to the multiple homes fiasco. There are empty properties in London which could be converted into small but comfortable housing units

8 Raise the NMW to a level which means the taxpayer is not subsidising businesses by giving them cheap labour which has to be topped up by benefits.

9 Means test child benefit. At present, Prince Willam is entitled to it and soon will be for another child. Perhaps make it only available to those claiming benefits (see 8)

10 Stop allowing the slaughter of animals according to centuries old religious practice.

Another thing I'd like to see is rehabilitation in prisons. A lot of crime is related to poverty, whether that be financial poverty or poverty of aspiration is for another thread.
I watched something a few months back where Gordon Ramsey set up a scheme in a nick which went on to be self financing and actually turned in a profit. He set up a training regime where he got some lags through elementary catering qualifications, once they were through them he got them producing cakes, flapjacks etc and used his industry contacts to get in front of the buyers for several chains like Café Nero. They sampled the produce and gave him a trial order which sold very successfully, the trial order was then rolled out over a wider and wider area.
As the scheme brought in more money he used it to finance higher qualifications and as the inmates were coming to the end of their sentences, once again he used his industry contacts to get some of them interviews with restaurants, hotels, coffee chains etc and a lot of them got jobs and became worthwhile members of society.
Obviously this will only work with non violent offenders but it's pointless just locking people up.
Make the prison regime one where you enter with no entitlements (no luxuries)but if you work at it and toe the line there's a carrot on the end of the prison stick

1 An end to the teaching of religion as fact in schools, you may as well teach kids that the cat in the hat is real. Replace it with more citizenship type lessons, teach them about their rights AND responsibilities.

2 Regulation of the banking system. It is this that is largely responsible for the state of the country's finances.

3 An end to the bedroom tax. There are not enough 1 and 2 bedroom properties in the social/private sector

4 A programme of building social housing.

5 Stop the stealth privatisation of the NHS.

6 Get rid of the work programme, it has been proven not to be working

7 Greater accountability for MPs coupled with an end to the multiple homes fiasco. There are empty properties in London which could be converted into small but comfortable housing units

8 Raise the NMW to a level which means the taxpayer is not subsidising businesses by giving them cheap labour which has to be topped up by benefits.

9 Means test child benefit. At present, Prince Willam is entitled to it and soon will be for another child. Perhaps make it only available to those claiming benefits (see 8)

10 Stop allowing the slaughter of animals according to centuries old religious practice.

8. See my comment earlier re tax credits - I'm sure FD's of large companies do calculations working out how my the tax payer will be paying via the credits system.

9. It is already tested - anyone earning as a higher rate earner gets it reduced or withdrawn completely:

https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-tax-charge

Last edited by a moderator:
Missed this last night.
1. Work out a minimum wage based on the average needed for a single person to live in a basic existence with ZERO support from taxpayer. My definition of basic is thus - Food, clothing, Heat and light as well as travel AND have 10% left over for saving/leisure/ect. This is MINIMUM.
2. Huge social house building program throughout the country.
3. Tougher on the bankers and traders - much more effective checks and balances
4. Renationalized Energy generation and supply, Fuel, Steel and Coal. Trains and all other utilities 5. A charter which reforms politics - Recall of under performing MP's and public servants (Say only activated after 1 year in job)
There is a sub plot to this - A huge bug bear of mine is the cabinet and the permanent sectaries. I would reform this with qualifications based appointments.....You want to be minister for Education....I want you to have been involved in all forms of education in public sector for 25 years......Want the job of Chancellor ? Show me your 25 years experience in finance and relevant qualifications in accounting and maths degree ect......Do you see the pattern ? I would then further reform this by saying that the person given the job at the beginning of government stays in that job until the end of the 5 years. Only gross misconduct or outright sacking can remove them. Finally the perm sectaries - I would keep them but make them easy to remove if they are as obstructive to change as some come across.
6. Change voting to PR system for whole country.
7. Free school meals for all from 5-18 - Nutritious meals only no junk....can use local produce to where applicable.
8. Reverse privatization of NHS
9. Scrap Trident - Spend the cash on a navy and many other more pressing things.
10. Pull away from international armed conflict.

I could think of tons too. My number 4 is my favorite. We already subsidize half the country to "work" through in work benefits such as WTC CTC council tax subs, housing benefit ect....We basically subsidize most supermarkets employees as well as other retail.....So why not subsidize steel and coal again at least we can use/export the stuff and make a shed of of tax payers at the same time.
As said I really could go on and on.....And for the record I would be PROUD to be part of a UK that was even headed in this direction

Missed this last night.
1. Work out a minimum wage based on the average needed for a single person to live in a basic existence with ZERO support from taxpayer. My definition of basic is thus - Food, clothing, Heat and light as well as travel AND have 10% left over for saving/leisure/ect. This is MINIMUM.
2. Huge social house building program throughout the country.
3. Tougher on the bankers and traders - much more effective checks and balances
4. Renationalized Energy generation and supply, Fuel, Steel and Coal. Trains and all other utilities 5. A charter which reforms politics - Recall of under performing MP's and public servants (Say only activated after 1 year in job)
There is a sub plot to this - A huge bug bear of mine is the cabinet and the permanent sectaries. I would reform this with qualifications based appointments.....You want to be minister for Education....I want you to have been involved in all forms of education in public sector for 25 years......Want the job of Chancellor ? Show me your 25 years experience in finance and relevant qualifications in accounting and maths degree ect......Do you see the pattern ? I would then further reform this by saying that the person given the job at the beginning of government stays in that job until the end of the 5 years. Only gross misconduct or outright sacking can remove them. Finally the perm sectaries - I would keep them but make them easy to remove if they are as obstructive to change as some come across.
6. Change voting to PR system for whole country.
7. Free school meals for all from 5-18 - Nutritious meals only no junk....can use local produce to where applicable.
8. Reverse privatization of NHS
9. Scrap Trident - Spend the cash on a navy and many other more pressing things.
10. Pull away from international armed conflict.

I could think of tons too. My number 4 is my favorite. We already subsidize half the country to "work" through in work benefits such as WTC CTC council tax subs, housing benefit ect....We basically subsidize most supermarkets employees as well as other retail.....So why not subsidize steel and coal again at least we can use/export the stuff and make a shed of of tax payers at the same time.
As said I really could go on and on.....And for the record I would be PROUD to be part of a UK that was even headed in this direction

Which would make them at least 50 years old before they became an MP

Yep the parties would do well to recruit experience and I think 50 ish is s decent age for someone to share their experience and vision. 50 is far from old these days.

Reply to Your Top random 10 policies in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net