Discuss ZE Test Question in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Newbie testing question:

Two consumer units in same location.
Tails approximately 2 metres.
MET bar next to meter in another room.
Bonding attached to main consumer unit.

Where should I remove the earth from, consumer unit or MET? If MET, use a wander lead? My thoughts are to disconnect earth from MET due to parallel paths but not as practical.

You need to eliminate the parallel paths mate to test the Ze, ie external impedance....so disconnected main earth from met...what system are you testing?

Or disconnect all the other parallel earths at the MET and test at the unit...assuming the main earth comes from the service head to the met and on to the Cu obviously....

Trying to remove parallel paths from downstream of the CU can be hard: easy to disconnect main bonding for gas & water as they are fairly obvious but probably they are still bonded via CPC of boiler supply, immersion heater, ignition of gas cooker, etc.

So as above, isolate the loads and remove the supply earth from the CU to measure Ze to it.

I will be testing the secondary CU. It only has the earth from the MET attached to it (no bonding). In the MET is just the supply earth and one earth to each CU. Bonding is connected to the primary CU (which isn’t being tested). I assume it’s therefore ok to isolate both CUs, disconnect the primary CU from MET, disconnect earth from secondary CU and test at the CU? This eliminates the need for a wander lead. All parallel paths therefor eliminated. Is that acceptable?

If it's a PME head and only 2m's, surely this would be quickest by isolating the loads and just dissing the earth as it comes out of the head/MET??

Thanks for the replies. Even though it’s only 2 metres, it is quite a distance to run a lead to the MET as it’s the other side of the wall.

Isolate, drop the main earthing conductor out of the MET and test from there using the tails form one of the boards for the line supply.

Reply to ZE Test Question in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock