Discuss ZE Testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SKY

Hi Gents.

What a lovely day - 27c in my living room!! Will need the fan tonight.

When ZE testing do you take the main earth out from the CU or the MET?

If you take it out of the CU would I get bad readings due as the earthing to the gas and water services?

Thanks

Isolate and disconnect the earth to avoid parallel paths...

If you still have the bonding connected you wouldn't necessarily get a 'bad' reading but it would not be an accurate one.

As long as you disconnect it from the installation you will be fine, usually from the earth block next to the cu or from the earth bar in the cu.

Cheers...........Howard

Disconnect from the DB/CU, this way you are verifying that the earth from any earth block to the CU is intact.

If bonding is connected to the earth block, then disconnect but if its into the CU earth bar no need, as you will have already removed the earth from said bar.

Hope it makes sense

Where ever the main distributors earth goes to ? if it goes to the MET disconnect from there, if in CU from there, I am not being funny so don't take it so but do you actually know what 'Ze' is and the purpose for which you are obtaining the measurement ? if you don't I suggest you don't try and obtain it, understand what you are doing, why you are doing it, before you try and do it !..or risk an accident.

ATB J

Hi Gents.

Thanks

You surely must be talking about the south east of England

I don't think most people who live in that area realise that they have a completely different climate to just about everywhere else in Britain

Its a lovely day here where I live,except the clouds have blocked out all of the sunshine for all of the daylight hours and they seem to have an endless quantity of the wet stuff oozing out from them,as usual
You sure are spoilt,again, as usual :74:

Please just think of your rain drenched countrymen when gloating :sad_smile:

Where ever the main distributors earth goes to ? if it goes to the MET disconnect from there, if in CU from there, I am not being funny so don't take it so but do you actually know what 'Ze' is and the purpose for which you are obtaining the measurement ? if you don't I suggest you don't try and obtain it, understand what you are doing, why you are doing it, before you try and do it !..or risk an accident.

ATB J

Hi - Understand the reason for taking the ZE and adding the R1 + R2s to get ZS.
Just need refreshing - finished college a 18 months ago and TBH have not done much since so i'm just refreshing myself in prep for my Elecsa test next month.

Thanks All

It depends how the earths are run ie if you have a MET and the gas and water is connected along with the main DNO earth then disconnect the main earth and then test Ze once you have done this then reconnect. As long as you are measuring the main DNO earth only with no other earth connected then you have a proper reading ie no P paths and no borrowed earths

Sky, I would strongly recommend the IET GN3 book on I&T. It explains everything you will need to know, in a very easy-to-read way. The Elecsa assessor will like it if you have it in your library also.
Don't forget to isolate any installation which you are removing the earthing from.

Cheers:

Have New Green OSG, BGB GN3 (Yellow Cover) and NICEIC testing and inspecting book.
Need to have a good read.

Thanks All

Consider myself spanked by Mr Guitarist.
That's not a spank, that's a gentle tap on the bum to point you in the right direction... :lol:

Hi Gents.

When ZE testing do you take the main earth out from the CU or the MET?

If you take it out of the CU would I get bad readings due as the earthing to the gas and water services?

Thanks
Sky please tell me that you're kidding. It's a pretty fundamental test and the reasons for it are not that hard to understand

Reply to ZE Testing in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock