Discuss zone question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A blank plate would indicate that there is wiring at that point and therefore the safe zones in relation to that point should be observed.
Whether they are observed is quite another matter!

Not with you. They don't provide safe zones- the wiring to the outlet that has a blank plate should be wired with the safe zones in mind.
Safe zones are defined by the location of accessories (and the walls), horizontally and vertically from an accessory is a safe zone, therefore if there is an accessory (a blank plate) on the wall the H and V from it are safe zones.

i think what the OP meant was that if an accessory had been removed and replaced with a blank plate, would that position still count as a reference point for a safe zone.

i think what the OP meant was that if an accessory had been removed and replaced with a blank plate, would that position still count as a reference point for a safe zone.
well...you`d think so...i mean what if theres cables still present within the zone of the blanking plate...
its the cables that safe zones apply to...
accessories just demonstrate the presence of cables and provide a reference point for the safe zones (150mm)...

i meant horizontally and vertically ( hows that fr spelling after 7 pints) from the blank plate, same as fr a sochit, sockcet, whatever.

was thinking of if cables had been previosly surfaced mounted and needed chasing in, and no safe zone avalible you could provide one with a blanking plate if needed
Yes I suppose so. So long as there are cables in a flush box visible behind it otherwise someone might think it was just covering a damaged wall and remove it.

scenario being a socket outlet that the client wants moving, say 3 foot horizontally from the existing position. the new socket will define the safe zone that the extended cable runs. however, the existing down drop would no longer be in a safe zone if there was not a blanking plate over the ols position to indicate a safe zone both vertically and horizontally from it.

BS7671 definitions, "Accessory - A device, other than current using equipment, associated with such equipment or with the wiring of an installation".

I would say a blanking plate is not associated with current using equipment. (How can it be? It's a blanking plate. It connects to naaaathing.)

Is a blanking plate "associated" with the wiring of an installation? It's not connected to it. You could argue it's a *disassociation* from the wiring system, almost. I guess you're on stronger ground if the M3.5 screws are earthed.

You could see how some unsuspecting homeowner could bang a screw in above it, hit a cable, get a shock and say "But I thought it was OK...look, there's nothing in the sockety thing...".

Just my 2p's worth.

hmmm, an interesting point. the jury's out at the moment, beer glass needs refilling. no doubt some more sober minds will comment, but meanwhile, i'm taking jack daniels to bed, g'night all.

Reply to zone question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net