Discuss Zones and sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Regarding the "sockets allowed 3m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1" reg...something I've never had to consider before as most UK bathrooms wouldn't be big enough!

Looking at this plan from OSG
1623137637164.png

Does the 3m only apply in the direction of my red arrow, or does it arc around in the same way Zone 2 does?
And getting the the point, does the partition mean a socket in position marked X is ok at any distance, or is 3m from the green dot needed?
Thanking you!

in 701 it says (as you know) socket outlets prohibited within 3m horizontal from boundary of zone one.. so I would suggest as they show your green dot as the boundary to get from zone 1 to zone 2 at the 0.6M, it would follow as the reference point for the 3m for the ‘boundary of zone 1’ so an arc of 3m from the green dot.

in 701 it says (as you know) socket outlets prohibited within 3m horizontal from boundary of zone one.. so I would suggest as they show your green dot as the boundary to get from zone 1 to zone 2 at the 0.6M, it would follow as the reference point for the 3m for the ‘boundary of zone 1’ so an arc of 3m from the green dot.
Thanks that was my assumption too, this is going to an interesting one as a kitchen is in middle of conversion to shower room and client has fallen out with builder. More details later!

Technically I'd agree, but the interesting bit about this particular application is that the shower cubicle has a partition wall where the arc of the zone is located. For zone 2 this would make sense as a person could reach around. But on appearance this partion (which I assume is floor to wall) reduces access & water ingress significantly.

Technically I'd agree, but the interesting bit about this particular application is that the shower cubicle has a partition wall where the arc of the zone is located. For zone 2 this would make sense as a person could reach around. But on appearance this partion (which I assume is floor to wall) reduces access & water ingress significantly.
Maybe so, but we're not talking about the distance a person can reach while standing in the bath/shower, as obviously 3m is way beyond arm's reach. The 3m rule takes into account the length of the appliance cord.

So I agree with the arc from the green dot applying to 3m for a socket.

But once you put the socket in a cupboard, it is perhaps OK, yes?? Like as in airing cupboards!

Extend the partition by the shower slightly, then fit a door frame and door, hinged on the wall by the red arrow. The shower tray and the small space in front of it then becomes the 'room with a bath or shower' and the rest of the room is then exempt from this stupid 3m regulation. Regs. don't say anything about the door of the 'room with a bath or shower' being closed, so can be left permanently open against the wall.
Door frame doesn't need a top, and the open door can be repurposed as a shelving unit.

When I went to look at this job the shower had not been dreamt up. From memory there are a number of interesting things to check, as there's also a combi boiler with spur and at least a couple of sockets. I'd imagine the spur will be out of zones.
There's also a consumer unit the other end of the room, and I'm not loving the idea of that being in a steamy room, albeit with extractor fan. External influences and all that....
So this whole job needs another visit and a careful think.
Thanks for the responses, and Brian I'll keep that one up my sleeve!!

Reply to Zones and sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net