Discuss ZS for a 5amp BS 1362 fuse in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

My point is Ian is if you look at the big red one you assume that the 1362 only came in two versions this is incorrect and as usual there's no relative manufactures info on the fuse

My point is Ian is if you look at the big red one you assume that the 1362 only came in two versions this is incorrect and as usual there's no relative manufactures info on the fuse

Only 3A and 13A BS1362s are specified by the Standard. 5A and other 1362s, whilst available, aren't recognised.

Thanks Ian
I take it from your kind words that you must be Pevvers appointed spokesperson can I also assume that Pevvers has been in contact with you and told you exactly what he meant because I haven't heard anything from him.
And I still can't locate the 5amp rating for the 1362, I wouldn't have asked if I could. Usually the 99.9% of crrospondance is extremly helpfull

Happy days

Thanks Ian
I take it from your kind words that you must be Pevvers appointed spokesperson can I also assume that Pevvers has been in contact with you and told you exactly what he meant because I haven't heard anything from him.
And I still can't locate the 5amp rating for the 1362, I wouldn't have asked if I could. Usually the 99.9% of crrospondance is extremly helpfull

Happy days

Whooah there, well there's on need to be like that is there?!

I have no bearing on what any of the others on here say and do. All I was saying is that if you need information that you can't find easily in the BRB, then you'll have to do like the rest of us have to and look through manufacturers tech sheets, and maybe even have to do some Ohms law and calculate it yourself.

If I knew what the max Zs was off the top of my head I would tell you, but I don't. I shall remind myself not to try to help you again if that is the kind of response I get, I hope you have more luck with the rest of the very helpful contributors on this FREE information forum.

Good luck mate! :)

Only 3A and 13A BS1362s are specified by the Standard. 5A and other 1362s, whilst available, aren't recognised.

BS88 fuses above 200A also do not have their max Zs in the BRB, also MCCBs have no data. This doesn't mean they're not recognised, just that sometimes you have look through a wealth of manufacturers literature to find the details. Unfortunately the regs only have a finite amount of space available and can therefore not show every protective devices details, otherwise it'd be much much bigger!!

can I also assume that Pevvers has been in contact with you and told you exactly what he meant because I haven't heard anything from him.

And apologies for not getting back to you sooner, as I have been on a NEBOSH course all day, trying to improve my knowledge off my own back. Because sometimes you have to get out and do things to improve yourself in this day and age, as things can't always be expected to be handed to you on a plate... ;)

Last edited:
BS88 fuses above 200A also do not have their max Zs in the BRB, also MCCBs have no data. This doesn't mean they're not recognised, just that sometimes you have look through a wealth of manufacturers literature to find the details. Unfortunately the regs only have a finite amount of space available and can therefore not show every protective devices details, otherwise it'd be much much bigger!!

True but 5A is not a standard rating of BS1362 fuse. Only 3A and 13A are, which I would imagine is why they are not listed.

Last edited:
Ah yes, but still manufactured to a British Standard, so information will still be able to be found...

Sorry my original post probably wasn't very clear!

But yes, there should be no difficulty finding the information if the will is there.

Thanks Ian

Happy days

No I'm not Pevvers spokesman, it was just the way you have replied to him was the reason why I posted it, if you try googling fuse manufactures you will get your answerafter sifting through them like I have had to do when I want information.

ok my understading IS bns1362 primaraly plugtop fuses (BRB appendix 1 p229) as such on a plugtop there there for appliance protection from overload and short circuit currents. They are rarely used (20+ years experiance i have never soon) as a circuit protective device and as such why would a Zs reading be required?

ok my understading IS bns1362 primaraly plugtop fuses (BRB appendix 1 p229) as such on a plugtop there there for appliance protection from overload and short circuit currents. They are rarely used (20+ years experiance i have never soon) as a circuit protective device and as such why would a Zs reading be required?

Maybe if you are using them in a fused connection unit from a ring. Then the 5A fuse could be used for disconnection instead of the MCB.

Right then, Mr Eddieb, after a simple search in "Google" (you may or may not have heard of it) with the term "BS1362 5a max Zs", I have come across (right at the top of the page), some information from another forum on exactly the same topic.

Please have a look here - IET Forums - BS 1362 5A Fuses - Max Zs and then realise how very your question was to answer.

If you haven't got the energy to click the link, then I will give you the important bit here.

From Graham Kenyon MIEE (a knowledgable fella) :-

"Had this topic a few months back.

There never will be any "max Zs for 5A BS1362" in BS7671, because there ISN'T ONE !!!

(This is because of the way the BS1362 standard is worded, NOT a fault of BS7671).

Therefore, if using a 5A BS1362 fuse, you must assume Max Zs same as Max Zs for 13A, and possible minimum fusing times (for inrush current calculations) of 3A"

(Mods - at least I am showing willing ;) )

Maybe if you are using them in a fused connection unit from a ring. Then the 5A fuse could be used for disconnection instead of the MCB.

If it was being used at an FCU then its overload protection for appliance only not the circuit. You dont take Zs readings at appliances its furthest point of circuit or mid point of ring.

Reply to ZS for a 5amp BS 1362 fuse in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net