Discuss Zs testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dannyb

Hi

I have just tested the Zs on my ring final circuit...

i got the readings 0.25, 0.32, 0.47 and 0.52

there are more but the readings were basically between 0.25 and 0.52

Ze is 0.11 and r1+r2 is 0.35

i get the same readings either at the front or the back of the socket so with the test leads or the test lead with the 3 pin plug on the end.

i understand the parallel paths or worn accesories may effect the reading.

the lowest reading was the first socket in the ring and the highest was the furthest part of the ring...... ( have i just answered my own question there?)

oh and the highest readings are not spurs cz i have checked that too.

for some reason i was expecting the same sort of reading at all the sockets......

can anyone enlighten me please

Danny

your Zs readings will increase as you get further from the CU to the mid point, whicich will be the highest reading,unlike R1+R2 because the latter are cross connected when reading.

Thanks F for that! i had a sneaky suspicion as u can see from the original post.

ok the next thing is.... if Zs = r1+r2 +Ze

then my zs should be 0.46

my highest reading was 0.52

and parallel paths only bring the zs down not take it up

There are a number of factors that can influenece the Zs reading such as meter accuracy, cable connections, test lead resistance, socket outlet contact condition etc etc.

TBH, I wouldn't worry about the reading you have as it sounds fine to me.

thanks lenny

just the question rises . i know all the connections are tight and i tested from the back of the socket as well as the front. i just cant explain how the Zs can be higher than calculated.

the tester is calibrated as of january 11 the leads are mint condition

i knew the reading was ok i just had to ask cz i cannot explain it....

if it was less than calculated id have said yeah parallel paths but tiz not the case

Danny

Ze readings can vary that why I was always taught to test Ze and PFC twice one straight after the other..... Surprising the differences in value you see

yeah thats todo with the Cycle.

all good feedback thanks everyone...

i can have my niceid assesment relaxed now....TOMORROW!!!!

your only 0,06 out, id be fine with that, ive seen much bigger differences, like then man said, so many external influences effect test results, right down to the make up of the cable when ur talking such small values as 0.06

Reply to Zs testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net