Discuss Zs tests on radial circuits? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

nadger

Just taken delivery of my very own NICEIC DVD: "inspection and testing - initial verification for domestic properties" and after watching it i have a question.

In the chapter about testing for Zs on radial circuits, the NIC bod says that testing on exposed live parts is a direct contavention of the Electricity at work act section 14, there for the NIC require only a calculated Zs entering on their EIC's using Zs = Ze + (R1+R2)

is this correct? because i'd have thought testing live installations would fall within the boundaries of a "competent person"

NIC policy is not to Zs test at luminaires for safety reasons.....suits me....balancing on a pair of steps trying to get the flaming leads onto a tiny connector block and just as the test starts the poxy earth croc clip drops off.....then on the 15th attempt you manage to keep them connected for long enough for the test to start only for the effing type B mcb to drop out.....i'ts an overated pastime.

Ah the good old Nic again

In all fairness they are probably following Ewr regulations closely
There is no need to work live if it can be avoided

In the case of initial verification, it is considered unnecessary and its safer to calculate from dead tests than work live

He is not speaking with fluent Nic speak then :)

On a Pir it would more than likely be un avoidable,but their policy I believe is different to the guy doing the assessment

i havnt really looked at them to be honest, a mate bought some and moaned like mad at the cost and said dont bother if we were thinking of buying them

He is not speaking with fluent Nic speak then :)

On a Pir it would more than likely be un avoidable,but their policy I believe is different to the guy doing the assessment

so when my local assesor asks me to perform a Zs on a radial and i state Tony Cable says i shouldn't do it, will i fail :eek:

I'm afraid regardless of all the red tape and bureacracy and he said, she said, I do and will continue to test Zs with my trusty meter.

Yeah I have the same attitude
The litigation culture may have reared its ugly head
They may need to give this advise,but personally, they probably dont agree with a lot of the nonesense they have to preach

The way I see it I am my own health and safety officer and everything I do, I do taking into account all risks associated with the procedure. Plus I think I'm big enough to make up my own mind now. My mother hasn't cleaned my face with a licky tissue for years.:eek::eek::D

Hi guys,

It is always interesting how this works out.

I thought you were allowed to use calculation, so if you added R1+ R2 to Ze it would be Zs. So I guess if you used the R1 + R2 measurements (dead test) and added them to the Ze (live test) then it would give the Zs. I know there is a live test but it would only be one (or at least a couple of verified goes) compared to lts of Zs tests at the final circuits.
I have watched the videos by Tony Cable and like them a lot. He is very competent, straight forward and has a down to earth view which is great.

I believe for the 2391 exam they expect demonstration of testing, measurement and knowledge of the circuits. Of course it goes without saying that safety must be shown at all times so I would agree with compliance with the Electricity at Works Regs 1989 comments, however they primarily use Guidance Note 3 as the reference document, so I believe that this should be your first port of call and follow that.

Good luck

Rex

i have just watched their periodic inspection DVD today, and the same situation regarding Zs was reiterated in this one also.

Dont get me wrong i have no problems testing live for Zs but their information seems to contradict the scenarios their local inspectors will put us in apparently.

can anyone answer the question below.
Calculate from the data below, the earth loop impedance of a radial circuit installed using 2.5mm conductors for line and CPC. show all calculations
Data
Ze 0.15 cable length 25m, conductor resistance 7041mΩ/m

Most people on this site could work it out Gtbadboy1, but you should be working it out yourself.
You've been given your conductor resistance per meter, multiply that by the length of the line conductor plus the length of the cpc, then add this to your Ze.

either i am thick , short-sighted or what. the res.of the cable is given as 7041 mohms/m i.e 7.041ohms/m. is it copper or string? this gives R1+R2= 3705ohms

Last edited:

Reply to Zs tests on radial circuits? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock