Currently reading:
2-pin to 3-pin (non-UK to UK) plug adapter needed

Discuss 2-pin to 3-pin (non-UK to UK) plug adapter needed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

freak

Hi guys,

Was really hoping someone could help as I have no idea what to buy or where to look.

I recently bought an expensive Nutribullet pro 900W machine. Unfortunately, I've received one with a 2-pin plug (it has 7.5A 250V on the plug) so need a 3-pin plug adapter which can easily handle 900W.

Can anyone be kind enough to please tell me what I should be looking for on Ebay or Amazon or any place else which offers not too expensive plugs?

Would really appreciate the help.

Thanks very much

I would imagine the 2-pin plug is a 'Schuko' and actually has an earth as well but the earth isn't on a pin. TBH I'd cut it off and install one of your standard 13A plugs, this will be a lot more safe and reliable than using some kind of adapter.

**edit** not sure where you're getting your 900watts from....???

Hi Marvo,

I guess that 900W remark didn't make sense. Like I said, I'm not very techno savvy hence reason I'm reaching out to you guys. And since I'm not very savvy, I don't want to go down the route of cutting off wires. Just need a sturdy safe adapter. There must be something like that out there that's safe and will do the job.

Thanks

I'm sure you could find someone who knows how to strip the end of a cable and fit a 13A plug correctly.

The problem with the travel type adapters is that they make the plug stand far away from the wall so there's a lot of leverage which can cause the socket or the adapter to get damaged easily and the internal pins and sleeves become a loose fit. They're also better suited to low consumption appliances like phone chargers and hi-fi equipment etc. Also they tend to be very poor build quality and are notorious for getting hot and burning with higher power things plugged into them.

If you're going to use an adapter anyway then rather go for a decent one. I'm still guessing it's a Schuko plug so maybe try this;Schuko to UK Mains Adapter 13A | Maplin If it's not that type then attach a photo so we can see what it is please.

schuko-to-uk-mains-adapter-13a.jpg

Thanks for that Marvo.
I've attached a pic of the plug:

nutri.jpg

As you can see, it's round and the plastic seems like one seamless thing. It looks like it might fit that Schuko plug you've mentioned though

Ahhhh, I think that might be an Aussie/Kiwi type plug, it's not a Schuko which was my first thought. It also appears not to have an earth connection. Can you give an exact make and model number for your appliance please, I want to see if I can fine a pdf of the installation guide. Where did you buy it from?

Yes, that's either Aus / NZ or Chinese (the Chinese plug is theoretically different but interchanges with Aus). The supplier should not have sent it to you like that, as it contravenes UK regulations to supply any domestic equipment without a suitable UK plug or permanent safety-approved adaptor fitted.

I strongly agree with Marvo that you should fit or have fitted a proper UK plug. Although the appliance does not need an earth, there are still safety issues with many travel adaptors, some of which are in themselves highly dangerous unapproved imports.

Thanks for the confirmation Lucien, I didn't have time to go and look it up. It's a bit weird that companies are supplying appliances with non-UK plugs.

When you first posted I thought it might be a large appliance but I see from the photo it's actually quite a small juice maker type thing, I'm sure you could take it to a shop somewhere and purchase a 13A UK plug and persuade them to fit it for you.

I got it off of Ebay and the seller told me that it's from China.
But I might just take your advice Marvo and take it to a shop to get it sorted (hope it doesn't cost too much).
I take it then that that Schuko adapter you mentioned won't do the job. The plug on my juicer is round; couldn't it fit that adapter?
Sorry, just exploring all possibilities here as lugging around a heavy appliance like that for me is going to be difficult given my lack of transport and mobility issues.

Thanks again guys.

The plug you have won't fit into a Schuko adapter. The pins on your plug are flat, Schuko plugs have round pins so the adapter I suggested before I saw your photo won't work.

Isn't there a neighbour you can ask to help you out? If you were anywhere near Cape Town I'd pop around myself and do it in exchange for a cup of you finest tea and maybe a biscuit :)

If you're not very mobile then maybe a bit of lateral thinking will get it sorted out. Buy a 13A plug when you're next at the shops then treat yourself to a pizza delivery for dinner one evening and ask them nicely to send the delivery guy with some wire cutters and a screwdriver.

I got it off of Ebay and the seller told me that it's from China

From China? Probably. Via the proper channels? Who knows. Correctly imported goods will have the UK plug fitted as a matter of course. Check it carefully for authenticity!

The plug will not fit a Schuko adaptor. There are adaptors for your type of plug, I am not going to recommend one but if you search, look for one that only takes your type of plug, not a multifunction one. Ensure it is fitted with a BS1363 fuse, has the two smaller pins sleeved but not the large earth pin, and meets BS5733.

OTOH, there's a first time for everything.... Buy and fit a plug. Guidance available here!

The plug you have won't fit into a Schuko adapter. The pins on your plug are flat, Schuko plugs have round pins so the adapter I suggested before I saw your photo won't work.

Isn't there a neighbour you can ask to help you out? If you were anywhere near Cape Town I'd pop around myself and do it in exchange for a cup of you finest tea and maybe a biscuit :)

If you're not very mobile then maybe a bit of lateral thinking will get it sorted out. Buy a 13A plug when you're next at the shops then treat yourself to a pizza delivery for dinner one evening and ask them nicely to send the delivery guy with some wire cutters and a screwdriver.

Lol! I'm trying to lose weight here. If only Healthy Eating shops delivered food huh :)
And if only neighbours here on my street were half as kind as you I'd be living in a better world.

Take care; really appreciate the advice and encouragement.

From China? Probably. Via the proper channels? Who knows. Correctly imported goods will have the UK plug fitted as a matter of course. Check it carefully for authenticity!

The plug will not fit a Schuko adaptor. There are adaptors for your type of plug, I am not going to recommend one but if you search, look for one that only takes your type of plug, not a multifunction one. Ensure it is fitted with a BS1363 fuse, has the two smaller pins sleeved but not the large earth pin, and meets BS5733.

OTOH, there's a first time for everything.... Buy and fit a plug. Guidance available here!

Hi Lucien Nunes. I'll be looking into those plugs you mentioned. Is there any particular makes I should look out for (please PM me if that's preferable).

And where was guidance available, on this forum? (any link?)

That looks pretty straight forward! And I don't need to worry about the earth wire, right?

The guy on the video did say that it's important to match the fuse amp with the cable and gave the example that a 3amp cable drawing 13 amps of current might cause things to get hot.

Now the 2-pin plug has 7.5a, 250V written on it. Should a 13a plug be safe?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest a 5 Amp fuse would be appropriate but personally I wouldn't lose any sleep if it was any other size.

If you cut the original plug off and strip the cable you'll probably find there's only 2 wires. If it's standard colours then the brown is live and the blue is neutral and there will be no earth.

You may however find different colours because this model was originally intended for non-EU distribution so let us know what the colours are in that case and we'll point you in the right direction.

Thanks Marvo for all your help. I'll get back to you if I need any more help. Much appreciated mate.

You're very welcome. Pop back in and let us know when your juicer is running :).

Reply to 2-pin to 3-pin (non-UK to UK) plug adapter needed in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock