Currently reading:
Condensate pumps

Discuss Condensate pumps in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Roger B

Hi All

My name is Roger and am new to here, I have a question on Condensate pump wirinig :)

I have a condensate pump to wire up, there is the main feed and it also has a seciondary float switch that turns of the boiler (or switch an alarm) if the main float/pump fails.

The question I have is how is this secondary pump wired into the system? I am slighty confused as both wires are black, how is it wired into the boiler? Is it the permanent live or the switched live?

Anyone got any ideas or can help??

Cheers Confused from Milton Keynes LOL

Have you done a continuity test on the float switch?

I would GUESS that the switch should be wired as an in line switch of the supply live and when the switch is open due to the resevoir being over full because of pump failure it will then cut power to the boiler thus it can't fire.

But as I state this is an "educated guess" and not a confirmed fact

Have you read the Manufacturer's Instructions?

Do you have the Manufacturer's Instructions?

Have you contacted the manufacturer for advice and/or a copy of the Manufacturer's Instructions?

Have you tried Googling for the Manufacturer's Instructions?

Try here: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...sugexp=chrome,mod=14&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Yeah got the instructions thanks :)

Just only shows Live Negative and Earth, on the boiler it has that plus switched live and pump overrun, just wordered wich one it went to, I assumed it was the permanent live just wanted a second opinion.

Cheers

Yeah got the instructions thanks :)

Just only shows Live Negative and Earth, on the boiler it has that plus switched live and pump overrun, just wordered wich one it went to, I assumed it was the permanent live just wanted a second opinion.

Cheers

OK ..... Now I have fitted many boilers - Combis mainly - when I was working (happily retired now) but I have never fitted a condensate pump - in fact I have not even seen one other than as pictures in books but I shall try to help you.

Am I right in assuming that it has a float switch which is designed to switch the boiler off if the pump fails and the water level rises too high in the pump?

If so, is it the wiring of this float switch that you are asking about?

If it is, *maybe* this switch needs to be wired into the live supply to the boiler? i.e. live wire from the switched fused spur or 13 amp plug feeding the boiler to one side of the float switch and the other side of the float switch to the live terminal in the boiler?

Assuming the float switch in the pump is normally closed, power would run through it to the boiler & the boiler would work, but if the pump fails and the water rises in the pump the float switch would open and cut the power to the boiler & the boiler would then stop working.

Does that help you?

EDIT: I have just seen Post#3 which is a shorter version of what I have just typed !! :mad2:

Combi - Brown(on 3core) and one black to permanent live, other black to permanent live on boiler.

Conventional - Brown(on 3 core) to permanent live, one black with switch live from wiring centre, other black to switch live on boiler.

Reply to Condensate pumps in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back