Currently reading:
Doesn't make sense!!

Discuss Doesn't make sense!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

phil94

Hello everyone this is my first time on this forum and I'm looking a bit help!! I'm starting to think I'm a complete idiot!! (Maybe I am??)

A simple apartment block intercom system, has a 12V AC supply. Is it possible, for a DC door strike to operate properly?? I can't see how it could, but need confirmation?

All help appreciated :)

Hello everyone this is my first time on this forum and I'm looking a bit help!! I'm starting to think I'm a complete idiot!! (Maybe I am??)

A simple apartment block intercom system, has a 12V AC supply. Is it possible, for a DC door strike to operate properly?? I can't see how it could, but need confirmation?

All help appreciated :)

Don't worry about it bonny lad ... With those qualifications you'll fit in well here. :)

Welcome to the asylum - it's your round and mine's a Broon. :8:

I'm didn't install the system, but the apartment was broken into so I am responsible to fix it.

The system that has been installed is a Bell 906 Door entry system with Lock Release.

I got the instructions over the Internet there, and they were really helpful:)

But what would really happen if a 12V DC door strike was wired into a 12V AC voltage supply? Would it work as an 12V AC door strike?

Sorry thaught I had explained, yes it will work ok, the reason a dc strike is used on an ac supply is to make the strike buzz aswell as opening the door, its a quick way of telling the caller he can now enter by pushing the door. If a dc power supply were used, the would be no noise just a faint click.

This is a quick wiring diagram of the intercom system I am doing atm, and the problem is that the door strike will not release?? I'm completely baffled?!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 203
Phil there should be not connection from AC- 26 to door strike, should be 1 wire from phones to - door strike only.
1. check voltage at dc and ac terminals on psu, 2. check voltage at door strike. 3 would suggest as manufactures states using ac supply only. I think if you test voltages, you will find ac output not working

There is no AC-26 connection anywhere on the diagram, there is an AC 22+ and a AC 24- connections though.
1. Checked voltages at both AC and DC on the PSU, and both reading 12V
2. Checked voltage at door strike and it was 12 AC as well

So unfortunately that hasn't worked?

Just so I have it clear in my easily confused head, I should have a AC + supply going to the + on the door strike and in the - terminal of the door strike I should have a cable going to the phones?

Phil

Phil sorry remove ac 24 as the phones supply the - when you push the phone entry button. From your diragram is the fault that the door is staying open all the time, if so removing ac 24 will sort that

Whenever I remove the AC 24 - supply the door strike doesn't operate at all, and whenever the AC 24 - is connected the door strike is always closed but will not release from the phone handsets?
The thing that confuses me is that bell and the speaker all ok perfect, but its just the door that doesn't release?!

What should the AC 24 - be connected to? I know this is probably a nightmare trying to figure this in your head, but any help at all gives me an idea to sourcing the problem:)

No it not a nightmare from your picture a can see whats going on.
when you disconnect ac 24 does the lock stay open ie the door is free to open and close or does it stay locked.

Right there is the answer, the wrong lock has been installed, you required a fail secure lock, you have a fail safe unit. You can test this by removing the ac - 24.
there should be not voltage at the lock. When the entry button is pressed on any phone you will then get a voltage at the lock.

Aha tazz!!!!! That sounds like the problem!! I will have to try this out tomorrow, but that seems to me what is wrong :)

So just a quick general question, whenever you want to be able to release the door strike from the phone handsets there HAS to be a fail secure lock installed? Is there any way to wire a normal door strike to operate in the same way?

Yea thats what it sounds like to me, I shall go to the job tomorrow and see if that solves it and I will let you know:)

Thank you greatly for all your enlightenment, I really appreciate it!!!!!

Reply to Doesn't make sense!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back