Search the forum,

Discuss Invoice dispute resolution in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stuban

Hi chaps

We have a chap disputing an invoice of ours. Just wanted to get some advice on how I resolve it please.

We quoted for a job for this builder in Jan last year. Didn't get the work(he claims the customer used their own sparks in the end)

He had us do a job in December on an hourly rate and had us backwards and forwards all the time so it was arguably quite an expensive job.

He raised a concern about tge labour cost several weeks ago so to keep tge peace I said tell me what you value the job at. Despite weeks of chasing him we finally put in a final demand and immediately the complaints over our work, timekeeping etc etc. comparing this price with the quote from a year ago and also complaining about the cost of another job which he's previously said he was happy with

Several times I've asked him to value the work and maybe we can come to an arrangement....not once has he given me a figure

What do I need to do before I can say the invoice is no longer in dispute and go to the courts? Or am I simply wasting my time and(as I start to feel) am I just being ripped off? Any advice on this would be very much appreciated

Cheers
Stu

The longer he ignores you the easier it will be for you to take him to money claim online and win.

Before you go to money claim online make sure you've politely reminded him payment is due and that your final demand letter includes the following:

"I attach my original invoice to this letter and wish to inform you, that if the invoice is not settled in full by xx xxxxxxxxxx 2012, I intend to refer this matter to the Small Claims Court without further reference to you.

Did you have a written contract with him?

My experience with builders is that they are pretty much the same, and not only do they want to under pay you they also blame you for delays.

Just gone through a similar situation. Work for a joiner last April and total invoice cane to 475 quid. Only manged to get 100 quid of him so far, so have took him to small claims. Got my outstanding balance off him but hes had to stump up about another 100 quid in costs. Then hes on the phone moaning because i took it to the claims court.

Might start doing an interest free period now for my invoices lol

I have the same issue with a restraunt in Banham.

Owes me £500.00 from December wont even acknowledge my calls or letters.

So next week will get this sorted, just registered on that site.

James

Make sure you have some proof that you carried out the work.

Send him a letter as stated above giving him 1 calender month (Recorded Delivery and print the track and signature out once he receives it)

Keep copies of all replies

If he does not pay or come to an arrangement the go straight to small claims, remembering you can charge 8% over the national Interest Rate of 0.5% - so 8.5%

File the Small Claims and dont forget to return the form they send you within the time limits - or they will vote in his favor

Any witness statements are good for proofing you did the work.

Do you want me to do a credit search on him? If you do PM me his company name and Post Code and I will send you a copy for free.

Thanks chaps. Sounds like this sort of thing happens regularly?

Unfortunately, against my better judgement, we didn't get a written contract. Everything was verbal.

Nicholas I'll take you up on that please, thanks a lot. I'll get the details and pm you later.

Cheers
Stu

Guy sounds like a scumbag. Have you considered shooting him in the knees? Do one, wait 3 days, then the other, it usually works.

You beat me to it Nicholas. The info that you kindly looked up make me think this bloke never had any intention of paying us - someone else was pinning a ccj on him at the same time we were working for him. Probably the previous spark!

Just throw him into the Small Claims and slam him hard.

Hopefully people wont do work for him again

Good luck with the courts

If you have any more companies you want me to check let me know

The longer he ignores you the easier it will be for you to take him to money claim online and win.

Before you go to money claim online make sure you've politely reminded him payment is due and that your final demand letter includes the following:

"I attach my original invoice to this letter and wish to inform you, that if the invoice is not settled in full by xx xxxxxxxxxx 2012, I intend to refer this matter to the Small Claims Court without further reference to you.

Did you have a written contract with him?

My experience with builders is that they are pretty much the same, and not only do they want to under pay you they also blame you for delays.

On the 5th Feb I used Money Claim Online to start the legal process against a bad payer, after doing the "polite" reminders. It took about 15 minutes to complete and I can see that the bill was paid, directly into my account, by the customer on the 10th Feb.

Not only did they pay the £335 outstanding but also the £35 it cost to use Money Claim Online.

I'd use the system again, but I'm being more careful these days selecting my customers!

Well this joker has come back to me 2 days before we take him to court. If I accept his complaints and deduct the amount he's disputing(a bird in tge hand and all that) can I still keep the same final demand date or do I need to issue a new invoice and give him another 7 days?

Cheers
Stu

Reply to Invoice dispute resolution in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock