Search the forum,

Discuss Is it safe to plug 2 extension leads into a double wall socket? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

jaybee1

DIY
Reaction score
Hi am just looking for some expert advice, my little girls room only has 1 double socket, currently have an extension lead with just the camera for her baby monitor plugged in and the other socket has a room thermometer plugged in. We have just got a little clock night light and need to plug that in. To make the cable reach we would need to plug an extension lead into the other side of the double socket aswell, so it would have an extension in one side with thermometer and clock plugged in, then an extension lead in the other side with the camera plugged in.
Just want to know if this is safe to plug 2 extension leads into a double socket? Both extension leads are 6 gang but will only have the 3 things plugged in combined which I think are all low powered aswell?

Thanks for any guidance

Hi am just looking for some expert advice, my little girls room only has 1 double socket, currently have an extension lead with just the camera for her baby monitor plugged in and the other socket has a room thermometer plugged in. We have just got a little clock night light and need to plug that in. To make the cable reach we would need to plug an extension lead into the other side of the double socket aswell, so it would have an extension in one side with thermometer and clock plugged in, then an extension lead in the other side with the camera plugged in.
Just want to know if this is safe to plug 2 extension leads into a double socket? Both extension leads are 6 gang but will only have the 3 things plugged in combined which I think are all low powered aswell?

Thanks for any guidance

This should be fine with such low power appliances. Just make sure the extension cables are decent quality and that the plugs are fully inserted.

Obviously make sure they don't pose a trip hazard.

There's no further risk with plugging two extension leads into a double socket over that with just one, but the real issue of concern here is why is there only one socket in a bedroom?
This suggests that the wiring may be extremely dated (from the '60s?) and lack such things as RCD protection, etc.

There's no further risk with plugging two extension leads into a double socket over that with just one, but the real issue of concern here is why is there only one socket in a bedroom?
This suggests that the wiring may be extremely dated (from the '60s?) and lack such things as RCD protection, etc.
It is the box room but yea not sure why there's only 1 but we have RCD protection. House from 1970's.

Thanks

Reactions: DPG
the real issue of concern here is why is there only one socket in a bedroom?
? why a concern, it is a box room, I have seen this so many times it is normal really

Reactions: DPG
? why a concern, it is a box room, I have seen this so many times it is normal really
It's a room where someone sleeps, so it's a bedroom. Minimum standards were set in the Parker Morris report in around 1963. Anything built after this should have more than one socket in a bedroom.

• Funny
Reactions: MDJ

Reply to Is it safe to plug 2 extension leads into a double wall socket? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back