Search the forum,

Discuss Is there a device or a way which will alarm us if a water pump has stopped working? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kbqwert

DIY
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question.

We have a waste water pump in our first floor flat. The water pump failed and stopped draining water from the shower. We noticed too late and the water draining through the ceiling in to the property below.

Is there a device or something we can do to know immediately if the waster pump fails or is turned off or not draining water?

Thanks

From the description I'm assuming this is something like a Sanivite where the water flows into a box and is them pumped out by a submersed pump.
You need a high level switch in the pump body - it's an option on a Sanivite, and I suspect for other makes.
A flow switch won't work as you'd need to figure out when there should be flow. A leak alarm will only tell you after it's started overflowing.

You could rig a float switch to an electronic valve on the intake that closes once set level is reached. Bit like those you find on the cistern in a boozer but close on condition. This would just mean you would start to flood your shower tray/bath as the water still needs to be stored somewhere.

If you position a Sanivite (or similar) at the right level, then it'll back up into the shower tray long before the pump overflows. There's probably only a few inches leeway - too high and it won't work properly, too low and it'll overflow before it's noticeably backed up.

easy, fit an auxiliary switch to the pump via a contactor in an enclosure with 2 lights in the front of the enclosure, connect the supply to the green lamp which is pump on, and when the power drops to the red lamp this is done through a relay which has a normally open and normally closed connection which mean supply to pump off, easy peasy if your a spark

easy, fit an auxiliary switch to the pump via a contactor in an enclosure with 2 lights in the front of the enclosure, connect the supply to the green lamp which is pump on, and when the power drops to the red lamp this is done through a relay which has a normally open and normally closed connection which mean supply to pump off, easy peasy if your a spark
Well I suppose just a light across the pump would provide remote indication that the pump is running. However, that requires EVERY user to understand what the light is telling them - and trust me, you will never "train" some users before the end of the universe.
In short, the light should come on in short bursts while the shower is running. If it doesn't, then the pump will fill up and overflow. But it needs the user to notice that it's not coming on - and that's where the system fails.

Ideally you'd fit a switch on the pump that indicates when it's not clearing water - not the same thing as not running. If it's a "submerged pump in a box" type like a Sanivite, then that's fairly easy as water level goes up when water flowing and pump not running, water level goes down when pump running, you just need a float switch to detect the water level too high.
From that switch I can see a number of options for action. One is simply to light a big red warning light and/or buzzer - that still requires user action to avoid overflow. Another option is to use it to turn off an inline solenoid valve and stop the shower - that stops the water flow but will "really annoy" whoever is half way through their shower, but arguably that's better than REALLY annoying your downstairs neighbour (I've been that downstairs neighbour, or rather my tenants have, multiple times).

The alternative is that you get into timers and flow switches. When the shower has flow, reset the timer whenever the waste is flowing (ideally via a flow switch as you can have the power on but pump not running*), if the timer times out, alarm comes on and/or shower gets shut off via solenoid valves. Set the timer too long and it's slow to detect pump failure, set it too short and you'll get false alarms.
* Sanivite/Saniflow pumps are prone to capacitor failure - then they just hum. Also more prone to switch failure. I've repaired a few with one or both faults.

Our other property has a Phlexiflow pump (earlier version of this) fitted for the previous owner as part of a low-entry disabled shower conversion. That's a direct pump that sucks water (uphill) from the shower waste, and if it stops working then the water just backs up into the tray - obvious to the user. It has no level switch, it relies on a flow switch in the shower supply, and a controller that you configure so that it will clear the maximum flow in bursts, and otherwise gurgles a bit as it sucks air.

Reply to Is there a device or a way which will alarm us if a water pump has stopped working? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back