Search the forum,

Discuss Looking for advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to the forum!

That is a pretty vague request, it would help if you could be a bit more specific about aspects you want help on!

I didn't get into the industry til the age of 40. Quite practical-minded, and had my 2330, but it was, as you say, a different world when I actually got on the tools. Hopefully you can get on the job experience early doors, there's no substitute. A lot depends on the electricians you get paired with. Most I've met like to do things right, and won't teach bad habits.

Simple advice would be make sure you're keen to learn, and don't be afraid to ask silly questions. Far better than doing something silly. As for tools, be prepared to shell out for them as needed. Large variety of work means large variety of tools. A surprising amount. You will be more respected for having a full tool bag than someone who keeps asking to borrow things. I have maybe £2000 worth of tools now. All kinds of power tools, two stepladders and a hop-up.

I've been at it a few years now, still really enjoy it, still learning, and still yet to get fully qualified. My only regret is not getting into the trade sooner. All the best!

Reference tools, buy cheap, cry twice, usually...

Now and again, a chineseium tool surprises you and is actually good.

Certain items I buy the no brand, and as cheap as possible, as the 15 lads I have don't treat them as their own or we're working in a place we're the tenants have sticky fingers. This is usually the sundries, screws, nails, drill bits, etc. spade bits are the bosch speed bits all day long on speed 1.

Pick a power tool brand and stick with it for the sake of battery harmony. Just go with your favourite colour, they're all the same essentially. Yellow is DeWalt, green is Hitachi, red Milwaukee, blue on the bosch. Yellow and red are the favoured general electrician power tools as they have some decent bespoke offerings like cable staplers. Hitachi has a decent nail gun though.

Don't be afraid to buy quality of life items either, like wagos, d line clips, spit gun or bespoke tools like electric staplers. All time savers and you can allocate that time to more jobs or more personal time.

Some old school guys will say it's dumbed down and lacks skill to do, and they're right, but when you're at home for 1200 on a Friday and they're not, who's winning life?!

Hand tools, can't beat knipex, but I'm a fan boy of their pliers, cutters etc. screw drivers I'd go wiha or wera generally.

Usually if it has made in Germany or Japan on the side, you should have a decent experience.

Good luck mate

Reference tools, buy cheap, cry twice, usually...

Now and again, a chineseium tool surprises you and is actually good.

Certain items I buy the no brand, and as cheap as possible, as the 15 lads I have don't treat them as their own or we're working in a place we're the tenants have sticky fingers. This is usually the sundries, screws, nails, drill bits, etc. spade bits are the bosch speed bits all day long on speed 1.

Pick a power tool brand and stick with it for the sake of battery harmony. Just go with your favourite colour, they're all the same essentially. Yellow is DeWalt, green is Hitachi, red Milwaukee, blue on the bosch. Yellow and red are the favoured general electrician power tools as they have some decent bespoke offerings like cable staplers. Hitachi has a decent nail gun though.

Don't be afraid to buy quality of life items either, like wagos, d line clips, spit gun or bespoke tools like electric staplers. All time savers and you can allocate that time to more jobs or more personal time.

Some old school guys will say it's dumbed down and lacks skill to do, and they're right, but when you're at home for 1200 on a Friday and they're not, who's winning life?!

Hand tools, can't beat knipex, but I'm a fan boy of their pliers, cutters etc. screw drivers I'd go wiha or wera generally.

Usually if it has made in Germany or Japan on the side, you should have a decent experience.

Good luck mate

Some different preferences where brands are concerned, but can't disagree with the above.

Reply to Looking for advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock