Currently reading:
Maintained emergency lighting question

Discuss Maintained emergency lighting question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Micky d

Hi, I have been asked to fit two maintained emergency lights in a loft conversion (customer had them given new) I have never wired these before. There is twin and earth from the ceiling with permanent live and also a switch wire from the light switch. There are 5 terminals fuse/perm live/sw/e and n. I either get the lights permanently on or running off the battery. any suggestions!

if they are running off the battery, then that suggests that the perm live has been interuppted. if the lights are permanantly on, then youhave crossed your perm and switch live. I wire emergency lights so that your perm live goes through a key switch, then into the common on your normal switch. From there, one goes straight to the light, and the switched live is taken from the other side of the switch. Be sure to mark the switch live. Thie abopve arrangement m,eans that when the key switch is operated, you lose all lights fed from that switch, apart fro the emergencies. I prefer this, as it allows an accurate assesment of the lux levels. Some argue that they want only the emergencys to be switched. To wire it that way, you feed the normeal swtch from thwe live side of the key switch, and take the other side of the key switch to the light.

Some fittings have a little jumper so you can set to maintained and non maintained. If you want them so they are switchable then you will need a three core providing s/w live, live and N to the fitting and running the perm live through a key-switch for testing of the luminaire.

Reply to Maintained emergency lighting question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock