Discuss Meross smart switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

coraline

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
I’m looking to install 3 meross smart switches for 3 lights:
  • entrance switch: only 1 gang but 3 way switch
  • bedroom switch: 2 gang (1 is 1 way, the other is the 3 way one)
  • living room switch: 2 gang (1 is 1 way, the other is the 3 way one)

I was planning to install 2 1 way MSS810 at the back of the living room and entrance switch on the 1 way light, and a 2 way (hoping it’d work for 3 way? I haven’t found any 3 way switch) MSS550 in the entrance. My understanding is that installing that one would be enough to make the light smart and I don’t need to touch the wiring for that light in the bedroom or living room light.

Does that seem correct?
Then I’m stuck how to rewire the living room/bedroom switches.
I’ll attach the picture from the meross guide and my current living room wiring. Would appreciate any help to understand how I’m meant to go from one to the other.

Thanks,image.jpgIMG_4673.jpeg

For additional info, I’m adding pictures of the entrance and bedroom switch too.
Would really appreciate any help, getting lost in wiring 😊

Entrance:
IMG_4676.jpeg

Bedroom:
IMG_4677.jpeg
IMG_4678.jpeg

I suspect you don't have neutrals at those switches so it isn't going to work.

I suspect you don't have neutrals at those switches so it isn't going to work.
Yes there is neutral I think, it’s the green wires, they’re all put at the back to the earth, so i think i can add a cable to all to link that neutral to the one of the switch.

• Optimistic
Reactions: DPG
No the greens are earths you cannot use them as a neutral.

Neutral is likely to be black. You have blacks but they are sleeved indicating they are lives. I think this task is beyond your competence.

Neutral is likely to be black. You have blacks but they are sleeved indicating they are lives. I think this task is beyond your competence.
There’s also a random black wire not connected to anything. Could that be the neutral?IMG_4672.jpeg

It could be anything or doing nothing it's impossible to guess.

My guess from that last picture is the whoever installed it has drawn two 6242Y’s instead of a single 6243Y for the 2way side of that two gang. So most probably that black conductor is doing nothing at all. However… a competent person with the correct testing skills and experience could probably repurpose into a neutral from whichever three plate it ends up at.

Reply to Meross smart switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net