Currently reading:
Retired Electricians

Discuss Retired Electricians in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As the title suggests where do retired Sparkies go, or more importantly what do they do with their time? well me I help camerabloke out when I can, but it is getting difficult, helped him out last weekend spent most of the time sat on the stairs getting my breath back, don't laugh it will be your turn quicker than you think.

Seriously though what do you think you will do, I never worked for myself so I'm cosseted with a nice index linked pension, which believe it or not I worked bloody hard for, I like drooling over tools in all the sheds, although it does get boring, even thought about inspiring youngsters (don't know if you can recall the post from Lisa a few days ago, but i was a bit to far to go).

I suppose when I do actually get the date for leaving I will have buckle down and find something productive to do. I would like to learn to play the guitar, so watch this space, looking forward to your responses, good or bad, but I don't mind really.

You will find they get themselves a different interest before they retire , not like those of previous generations who just sat back in their arm chairs , I know of a few who go into property later in life , I also know quite a few who don't even discuss or get involved with the trade , you wouldn't see them on here..because believe it or not , not everyone discusses their trade and shut off when they get home or retire ..

Last edited by a moderator:
I know of one retired spark, who on the day he jacked it got rid of all his kit and won't even touch his own home now.

Others do things like work for bigger firms in stores etc.

Then there is teaching, mentoring, working in B&Q giving advice to DIY'ers, working for wholesalers as drivers...... the list is ****ing endless. :)

I think the worst thing to do would be to retire and then park yourelf in the armchair or barstool.

The happiest retired people I know are the ones who don't have time to work even if they wanted to. :)

Since when did f e c k become a swearword!!!

Has anyone tried applying for a job with B&Q talk about jobsworth, I couldn't possibly give my lovely tool kit away no way, I will need to go and look at it lovingly every now and again, might try and give the wholesalers driving a bash, may go and put the word out.

it'a question of whether my lungs, heart, or knees give up first as to when and if i retire. maybe a book could be opened on the odds.

If you got a job at B&Q , you would have to advise DIYers how to do things , I couldn't do that...

If all that you have worked for is to do a job like that , I would shoot myself..

Get an Assessor qualification and go assessing Part P registered contractors for Napit, Elecsa and others, chuck in a teaching qual, and add City and Guilds course delivery and assessment. Nice and clean, easy, in the warm, easy on the knees, Ok you wont be a millionaire anytime soon, but it is an easy life.

If your after a bit of extra cash , or something to occupy your mind and linked to this work , then just be self employed and do local small jobs , nothing too strenuous , most people would go for experience , small jobs that is and also other odd jobs as well , maybe a couple of days a week , I wouldn't tie myself down to working 5 days on the cards , I would value my freedom too much..

If your after a bit of extra cash , or something to occupy your mind and linked to this work , then just be self employed and do local small jobs , nothing too strenuous , most people would go for experience , small jobs that is and also other odd jobs as well , maybe a couple of days a week , I wouldn't tie myself down to working 5 days on the cards , I would value my freedom too much..

Thanks mate that's an option, along with driving foe a Wholesaler

Just enjoy doing nothing for a while take the dog out read a book chill out enjoy not de icing your van

Aint got a dog, nor a van, got plenty of books though, thanks for the thought, I'm sure something will come along, I have written some memoirs but the nature of my employment requires me to get it vetted, still who knows?

I am not too far away from the same , I did a job for a guy down the road from me and he does a couple of half days at the local hospital as a volunteer as a hospital DJ on their radio ,

You could start a forum for retired electricians or become an electrical consultant doing calculations for the Electrical Trainee's and charging them for it.
I gather from other threads you like a glass or two of red wine but don't have the energy you had when you were 21 so here's and idea where you can do two jobs at the same time without killing yourself. Get yourself a job as test pilot for merlot, shiraz, cab sav etc and combine it with being a mattress tester for Sleepeezee. Job done;-)

I am not too far away from the same , I did a job for a guy down the road from me and he does a couple of half days at the local hospital as a volunteer as a hospital DJ on their radio ,

I really fancy doing some sort of inspirational work, but apart from the thread I spoke about earlier I don't really know where to start, if anyone has any ideas, I would be keen to listen.

You could start a forum for retired electricians or become an electrical consultant doing calculations for the Electrical Trainee's and charging them for it.
I gather from other threads you like a glass or two of red wine but don't have the energy you had when you were 21 so here's and idea where you can do two jobs at the same time without killing yourself. Get yourself a job as test pilot for merlot, shiraz, cab sav etc and combine it with being a mattress tester for Sleepeezee. Job done;-)

Stop takin the pees will you

I must say , the people who I have met who do voluntary work become very enthusiastic in what they do , its important we generate some external interest in some form that can be carried on after retirement , do you have any hobbies ...

Trevs idea of voluntary work is the best so far TBH.

There is and always will be a shortage of volunteers for all sorts of things, ranging from donkey work in community projects to helping the less fortunate back on their feet, or even helping those who don't have long left.

Mrs Trev is looking at volunteering in the courts as witness support. Google voluntary work in your area Pete, there'll be a coordinating body somewhere, you'll get called down for an informal interview just to see who you are and what makes you tick and then they'll start suggesting things to you. You might need a DBS check for some of them though

My parents are in their 80's and they do some Y3K thing which keeps them busy as hell. Don't know too much about it but they're forever going to talks and meetings etc.

thought Y3K supplied CCTV gear. must be for the swingers home videos.

U3a - yeah me Marr (in my best Nick Cotton voice) goes to that. Seems to be summat fer anyone.

Pete999 - I'm just a nipper in comparison but had a little time out from work in my mid 30's (plenty of opportunity for Micky taking there). I did some voluntary work over a year or so and it was so far outside my comfort zone it was in another galaxy, I used to evacuate myself before every shift I was so ... Well don't know what the word is.

however.

when I got home to my (now) wife then girlfriend, she has never seen me before or since so alive, passionate in talking about my evenings work, or so buzzing.

so the thing that changed for me was I went back to work, I no longer had the energy left to continue and had to drop it, and it gutted me for years.

but if you can spare the time for a fulfilling subject of your (!) choice be what it may be, I can only suggest from my own in depth study, that you will get one hell of a kick from it.

S.

Reply to Retired Electricians in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock