Search the forum,

Discuss Retired Sparky getting back work in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Grosvenor

Hi,

I left electrical work for another field of work over 25 years ago, but now would like to return. Probably self employed domestic work.

I know I would need 17th Edition and this new Part P. - I have to say Part P seems like a money making scheme. If you've completed an electrical apprenticeship, why can't you install a socket in your own home without it. Anyway that's by the by.

Would I also have to join an association, I used to be a member of the JIB, also how are jobs certified? This is going to sound old, but it used to be simple, after testing, get a free test notice from the electricity board, fill it in and that was it. I bet it's much more complicated now and costly.

Any help and advice welcome. Thanks

Hi Grosvenor. Welcome to the forum. There has been many post on this forum about what you need to be a domestic electrician. Why do you want to return? The domestic place is saturated with every man and his dog wanting a piece. There is a web site that you can check for electricians in your area. I have more than 150 within a 5 mile radius. I don't know how they survive. Best of luck anyhow mate.

I have to say Part P seems like a money making scheme. If you've completed an electrical apprenticeship, why can't you install a socket in your own home without it.

Well for one, some people do an electrical apprenticeship and then leave the industry for 25 years.

Hi,

I left electrical work for another field of work over 25 years ago, but now would like to return. Probably self employed domestic work.

I know I would need 17th Edition and this new Part P. - I have to say Part P seems like a money making scheme. If you've completed an electrical apprenticeship, why can't you install a socket in your own home without it. Anyway that's by the by.

Would I also have to join an association, I used to be a member of the JIB, also how are jobs certified? This is going to sound old, but it used to be simple, after testing, get a free test notice from the electricity board, fill it in and that was it. I bet it's much more complicated now and costly.

Any help and advice welcome. Thanks

Yes I remember when the board used to test and connect, not anymore it's called privatization. lol

Hi Grosvenor. Welcome to the forum. There has been many post on this forum about what you need to be a domestic electrician. Why do you want to return? The domestic place is saturated with every man and his dog wanting a piece. There is a web site that you can check for electricians in your area. I have more than 150 within a 5 mile radius. I don't know how they survive. Best of luck anyhow mate.

Thanks for the replies,

I did a search for local electricians and there's around 153 in the area. Mmmm.... making me think twice now, especially when you factor in the cost of all the courses.

I reckon it would cost a least a three - four grand for Part P, a 17th Edition, 2391 and 2392 along with testing gear. The 2391 and 2392 would remove the need to pay a tester, but I've read there difficult to pass. That's a lot of money before you even start trying to compete with other sparks.

After searching the net, it seems like the Electrical Trade is swamped with red tape at the moment, making it very difficult to make a profit.

Other option, maybe just do 17th Edition refresher and Part P, then look for a local housing Association job.

Thanks for the replies,

I did a search for local electricians and there's around 153 in the area. Mmmm.... making me think twice now, especially when you factor in the cost of all the courses.

I reckon it would cost a least a three - four grand for Part P, a 17th Edition, 2391 and 2392 along with testing gear. The 2391 and 2392 would remove the need to pay a tester, but I've read there difficult to pass. That's a lot of money before you even start trying to compete with other sparks.

After searching the net, it seems like the Electrical Trade is swamped with red tape at the moment, making it very difficult to make a profit.

Other option, maybe just do 17th Edition refresher and Part P, then look for a local housing Association job.

The 2391 has now been split into 2 and replaced by the 2394 (initial verification) and the 2395 (periodic inspection and testing)

The 2392 is aimed at those who have never picked up a tester before and need to be shown the ropes before moving onto the 2394/5

"Part P" courses run through the building regulations and are not essential in any way shape or form to any electrician's list of qualifications or daily work. Again these are aimed at those with no practical experience. You can download the approved documents for the building regs from here.....
Planning Portal - Approved documents
I also hear that the electrician's guide to the building regs is a good book to own and a lot cheaper than a course.

The 2382 is your 17th edition course but shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

A new multifunction tester can be had for as little as £400 or less if you buy second hand

hope this info helps

Just suggestion but do the 17th edition And 2394 .. As for part p read the book "electricians guide to the building regulations"
You need a new copy of the regs and have # bit of read as some things have changed

Then can join a group like Napit they will do a test
Cources I think looking at £1000
Books £150
Napit £500
Multi never £400
So looking about £2000

What about doing site work as electricians mate or shop fittings
May only ask you do the 17th edition then

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2391 has now been split into 2 and replaced by the 2394 (initial verification) and the 2395 (periodic inspection and testing)

The 2392 is aimed at those who have never picked up a tester before and need to be shown the ropes before moving onto the 2394/5

"Part P" courses run through the building regulations and are not essential in any way shape or form to any electrician's list of qualifications or daily work. Again these are aimed at those with no practical experience. You can download the approved documents for the building regs from here.....
Planning Portal - Approved documents
I also hear that the electrician's guide to the building regs is a good book to own and a lot cheaper than a course.

The 2382 is your 17th edition course but shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

A new multifunction tester can be had for as little as £400 or less if you buy second hand

hope this info helps

Thanks for the update on the certificates.

I'll take a look at the link. Part P is really confusing, everything I've read about it says it's necessary to have; for example installing a new circuit. So what your saying is, it isn't necessary if you belong to an association and are classed as 'A Competent Person'?

Hopefully you link will clear things up.

Thanks for the update on the certificates.

I'll take a look at the link. Part P is really confusing, everything I've read about it says it's necessary to have; for example installing a new circuit. So what your saying is, it isn't necessary if you belong to an association and are classed as 'A Competent Person'?

Hopefully you link will clear things up.

It's not something that is necessary to have, it's something to do.

The building regulations require any notifiable work to be notified to the local building control office. The current scope of notifiable electrical work in domestic properties in England is, any work within the zones of a special location, any new circuit, a consumer unit change. This is detailed further in the part P approve document I linked to.
Notification is separate and additional to testing and certification which applies to all work that involves alteration of a wiring system.
Notification can be done in one of two ways. Notify the LABC office before work commences and pay their fees, they will come and inspect and test the work and job's done. Join a scheme and they will assess you for competence, charge you yearly fee, and charge a few quid for each job you notify. They will contact the LABC on your behalf and job's done.
There is a third way that some councils offer which is to prove competence directly to them via your qualifications. I have only heard of this and very few councils offer this common sense approach.
The fourth way is to ignore any notification and plod on regardless. I can't offer any guidance to this approach on a public forum however.

The above only applies if you are working for yourself.

A part P course is not necessary to have by any means and no employer will ask for it.

Reply to Retired Sparky getting back work in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back