Search the forum,

Discuss Wiring in oven in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

lbaron

DIY
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've got a new oven and have a question about installing it.

It's a 2.6kW 13A oven, and a cable from the 32A cooker circuit to connect to it. Can I simply connect the cable to the cooker, or do I need to do via a 13A plug and socket. If not, why is there no need for a fuse?

There is already an induction hob connected to the cooker circuit, and the circuit has a dual pole switch above the worktop (with no fuse I can see).

Many thanks for any help

Hello everyone,

I've got a new oven and have a question about installing it.

It's a 2.6kW 13A oven, and a cable from the 32A cooker circuit to connect to it. Can I simply connect the cable to the cooker, or do I need to do via a 13A plug and socket. If not, why is there no need for a fuse?

There is already an induction hob connected to the cooker circuit, and the circuit has a dual pole switch above the worktop (with no fuse I can see).

Many thanks for any help
how big is the Hob, Mine is 7.4 kw, admittedly allowing for diversity it wont pull anywhere near 32 amp, if the hob is already connected to the circuit where is the cable from the hob going? is it going to the switch you want to connect the oven to? Load wise there seems to be no issue for the hob and oven on the same circuit, but interested how you intend to connect.

Does it actually have a 13A plug fitted… or just a stripped cable and a note in the instruction manual that says “must be hard wired”?

Ovens are categorised as “fixed load” appliances… meaning they don’t really need a fuse, as there’s no way the load can rise from the maximum stated on the data plate.
Short circuit protection is provided by the cooker circuit breaker in the consumer unit.

Take care connecting the oven… and if it is bare ended cable, the ends will be crimped up. Don’t cut these ends off…

how big is the Hob, Mine is 7.4 kw, admittedly allowing for diversity it wont pull anywhere near 32 amp, if the hob is already connected to the circuit where is the cable from the hob going? is it going to the switch you want to connect the oven to? Load wise there seems to be no issue for the hob and oven on the same circuit, but interested how you intend to connect.
Thanks for this, the hob is listed as:

Connection rating: 7350W.

Current: 2x16A or 1x32A.

So that will be fine to have these connected to the same thing? There are two cables coming from the circuit to the hob area: one for the hob and one for the oven.

allowing for diversity a 32 amp supply will be fine for them both, but remember, the cable needs to be adequate to cope with a load on up to that amperage, apart from christmas day for a few minutes I doubt you will ever have your oven on running at more than 60% load, there is a cooker calculator for diversity somewhere, I cannot remember where though and I am sure someone on here will know.

Reply to Wiring in oven in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net