Currently reading:
Cabling in Trunking advice

Discuss Cabling in Trunking advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

20IDG24

DIY
Reaction score
In preparation for an EVSE installation, I am running the supply cable from the main CU, via catenary, to a new CU in my garage.

The cable is 6mm twin-core + cpc NYY-J (Tuf Sheath-type), which is not the easiest of cables to bend!

I have a length of the cable coming out of a walk-in cupboard where the main CU is located, which then runs via 38mm x 25mm mini trunking across the kitchen before going outside.

The issue I have is that, due to a quirk in the building's architecture, at the outside wall end, I have a 90 degree bend, followed by a short (2"-3") run, then another 90 degree bend with another 2"-3" run before going through the outer wall.

As I have intimated, I am not finding the cable the easiest to bend, so my question is: Is it permissible to strip the outer sheath for this short length, leaving the inner cores to bend more easily (as per the image below)?

Conduit Route_edit.png

To my logic, this would be no different to me using conduit cable for the entire length - albeit in PVC trunking (can conduit cable even be used in mini-trunking?).

The installation has now been completed and the spark agreed that it would be permissible to strip back to the inner cores as I suggested.

Not an ideal solution in my opinion but if the installer is happy and has signed the cert. then all is good.

Reactions: MDJ
dreadful, I couldn't sleep at night after that install, it may just about pass but the quality of work is substandard IMO

Reply to Cabling in Trunking advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock