Discuss **Show Us Your Installs!!!** in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

i understand that fully. the thing about college is, wouldn't it be better to do trunking? never cut a single piece at college and done loads at work
We have done trunking too, on the Steel Trunking task, and the big test piece which incorporates steel and plastic trunking, steel and plastic conduit, singles, T&E, SWA, one and two-way light switching (see, we do learn 2-way switching at college! :D), and ring and radial sockets circuits. This was the MI/Steel tray task.

I'm still frankly amazed that no one has taken the ---- out of the bits of this task which aren't that great!

It's not just a hole, its a gate way to a parallel universe where people just shut the f up and don't whinge over tiny little details.

- - - Updated - - -

The hole of destiny

The comments being made, is i think that students are being taught at collage, practices that just won't work out in the real world. Perhaps most of the comments about whingeing over minor details are from those that wouldn't know any different and have never installed a complete cable tray installation. Those that have, will understand the implications off using ''holes'' for change of direction etc!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The comments being made, is i think that students are being taught at collage, practices that just won't work out in the real world. Perhaps most of the comments about winging over minor details are those that wouldn't know any different and have never installed a complete cable tray installation. Those that have, will understand the implications off using ''holes'' for change of direction etc!!

Agreed,

Things are often taken out of context, this is "one" solution to a problem - there are many, many more!

With this example he doesn't have to pull through 50mtrs cable etc, etc. Is that not the whole point of learning . . . Learn the underpinning knowledge, learn various ways to do things, engage brain, and apply the solution that you (with said knowledge) see fit?

Here's my finest work yet. I'm sure you'll all agree its a masterpiece. :)

DSC06353.jpg

Yes this is actually the work done by my builder ages ago to feed my new bathroom extension. The trunking made from a bit of gutter downpipe was a nice touch! It also occurred to me that the 'sub-main' feeding this board is 6mm t&e, and is not fused down where it comes from the main consumer unit. Another thing to sort out one day...

Things haven't changed much since I did my appprenticeship in the 70's, still using chip board to mount it on, although we had to bend and thread steel tube, non of this fancy plastic stuff! :D

We learnt how to bend 20mm seam welded galvanised steel conduit (if you are reffering to that steel tube). But I still haven't wired up some of that, so I can not upload photos with some chunks of bend conduit without some loads and stuff! :p

Looks like this electrician wasn't updated to be 'Y2K' compliant and can't handle four digit years, so has incorrectly rolled over from 1999 to 0000, 0001, 0002...

Image010.jpg

Did you set that black plastic tube into the top of the CU or force/bow the tube in? :D
We fixed the 20mm heavy gauge black pvc conduit into the cu with 20mm black pvc male and female bushes :) But when I tried to dismantle them, it was impossible so I forced them with the hammer technique :p

Art?

What do you do in the second week? Cooking?

haha nice one! I already know how to cook! So I prefered to move on to star and delta connections! :O (but in theory class) :p

Don't worry about them tsakitsan you'll find there lots of arse holes on this site ready to put you down for no reason. There probably very insecure and it makes them feel better.
But you will also find lots of nice sparks as well. :)

You keep it up at college m8 you doing well.

Keep up the good work buddy ;)

I'll add some pictures of a Job just being completed. The pictures are my snagging pictures so that I have a visual record of the snags etc and ensure the work is completed as per the program before my final report.

2013-04-27 15.31.12.jpg2013-04-27 15.31.26.jpg2013-04-27 15.31.34.jpg2013-04-27 15.31.40.jpg2013-04-27 15.32.37.jpg2013-04-27 15.34.32.jpg2013-04-27 15.34.57.jpg2013-04-27 15.35.27.jpg2013-04-27 15.35.36.jpg2013-04-27 15.35.51.jpg2013-04-27 15.41.51.jpg2013-04-27 15.41.59.jpg2013-04-27 15.42.52.jpg2013-04-27 15.43.40.jpg2013-04-27 15.45.16.jpg2013-04-27 15.45.38.jpg2013-04-27 15.46.07.jpg2013-04-27 15.46.17.jpg2013-04-27 15.48.53.jpg2013-04-27 15.48.59.jpg2013-04-27 15.51.24.jpg2013-04-27 15.52.22.jpg2013-04-27 15.52.34.jpg2013-04-27 15.56.22.jpg

Sort of. Thanks for coming and correcting and tidying my install for me to take this photo. :)
No sweat mate how can perfection be improved:yes: I tend to get by on my natural good looks and sophistication. i did that install on a friday afternoon after 3hrs in the pub (not bad eh) I managed to get down 6 pints of fosters and 3 scotch an cokes and i was still able to put in cu and drive home. Amazing Stuff , i can sense the admiration from you even now:yes:

At last, a proper trefoil cable run! And a descent sized job to boot, what’s the MVA rating of the installation?

Thanks Tony, all I can say is that the total capacity is 14.7MVA running from 2 X 132kV feeders down to 8 11kV Tx's providing an A and B stream into the two structures so far built (which are only using some 2.7MVA). The rest of the capacity will be used by the remaining 2 main structures (4MVA each) (to be built plus a central Office block with a 0.5MVA capacity. The rest of the capacity is held for future use under ground)

Picture 9, is that a dual bus-bar sytem?

Yes Tony, two separate feeds from separate Tx's via individual Rotary UPS systems with auto changeover in the event of failure, and this is all backed up by individual LV Gen sets but the site also has 15MVA 11kV generating capacity in case we lost the feeds from the outside world..

Here are those other pictures I mentioned in email Tony..

IMAG1264.jpgIMAG1265.jpgIMAG1266.jpgIMAG1267.jpgIMAG1269.jpgIMAG1270.jpgIMAG1271.jpgIMAG1274.jpgIMAG1275.jpgIMAG1276.jpgIMAG1278.jpgIMAG1279.jpgIMAG1280.jpgIMAG1281.jpgIMAG1282.jpgIMAG1278.jpg

Bear in mind these are snagging pictures so these are not finished items, all the cables require identifiers attached, including the HV or they need tidying in some way, but they are OK for what you need Tony.

The comms in the top 4 pics is the HV/LV monitoring/switching infrastructure that also runs the live mimic boards we have for ACB and MCCB positions and status

And because I want to keep my last promise, that I will upload some more college-level ART! (Yes! I consider it art! :p)
Here are some 20mm A1 ring final circuit installation. The conduit is 20mm seam welded galvanised heavy gauge steel. And the sockets boxes are metal clud surface (MK logic+ I think). For the trainees like me: :p The A1 ring final circuit should have 2.5mm cable with a 32amperes BS60898 type B circuit braker, and it can potentially cover 100m^2 of space.
Oh I forgot to mention that we have a switched fused connection unit too.. But it does ΝΟΤ feed an appliance.

image-1367263305027-V.jpgimage-1367263009751-V.jpgimage-1367263027736-V.jpgimage-1367263068817-V.jpg

Sorry for any mistakes :) and thank you!

Couple of observations;

1. The layout of the conduit should have been considered so that they did not need to cross
  2. Conductor length needs attention, if you look at one of the browns in the spur you can see where it has been rubbed when the faceplate screwed back.

I appreciate a lot comes with experience, but it's things like the scuffed cable that can cause you problems both in college and the real world, I would be none to impressed when testing a new install to find that.

Couple of observations;

1. The layout of the conduit should have been considered so that they did not need to cross
  2. Conductor length needs attention, if you look at one of the browns in the spur you can see where it has been rubbed when the faceplate screwed back.

I appreciate a lot comes with experience, but it's things like the scuffed cable that can cause you problems both in college and the real world, I would be none to impressed when testing a new install to find that.

From what I remember, they must cross as part of the assessment, and a large portion of the marks are dependent on your ability to set the conduit neatly

A couple of things.......

If you were to leave a little more length in the CU then you would be able to get the cables a little neater.

The fly leads in the accessories shouldn't be coiled

You do not really need the fly leads as you have cpc's run in and the conduit is earthed at the CU, and the back boxes are fixed lug. The only time you really need fly leads is if you have no cpc's and you are using the conduit as your means of earthing.

These are just pointers and are not criticisms!!, overall it's a nice install and a bloody good job compared to a lot of college work I see!

I would be asking, why you have pulled CPC's into a galvanised conduit system in the first place?? All your achieving there, is filling up the conduit with needless copper!! lol!

I would be asking, why you have pulled CPC's into a galvanised conduit system in the first place?? All your achieving there, is filling up the conduit with needless copper!! lol!

Not this again!

Unfortunately it's true, this is common practice now. You don't need to tell me why it's un-neccessary/stupid/borderlining criminal (cost wise), as I already know - this is merely what clients/designers/specs ask for. I've questioned their reasoning/sanity many a time, nearly always told "just incase", or "that's how they want it". Colleges/Training centres are obviously employing the same tactics now.

The mind boggles.

Regards

Billy

Started new job today....lots of trunking, tray, conduit, basket, skirting trunking,dado, ect ect ect .
and I have to fit all this in a 100mm space above a suspend ceiling!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 280
  • image.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 254
Then they are all bloody idiots!! ''Just in Case'' has no relevance in electrical design concepts!!

Couldn't agree more!

I see your point, but would argue (forgetting relevant Laws/Guidance) that a very high percentage of design is for "just in case" scenarios. Fire Alarms, Intruder Alarms, Controls, Cut-outs, E-stops, UPS, back up Generators, less abled alarms, could all be placed in the "just in case" bracket.

I like this "nanny" state of affairs as little as the next man. . .

If you can't work out that it's raining or dark, should you be driving?
Yet vehicles are coming equipped with rain/light sensors.

If you are unable to recognise if you remove a smoke alarms supply that it will no longer operate, do you deserve to live?
Yet we go to great lengths to ensure the supply will remain on, and install back up batteries.

If we carry on supporting this then our already sullied gene pool is going to become a whole lot worse!

When does it stop being a "life safety system", and become a "they are clearly imbeciles, lets protect them from their own stupidity", or indeed "just incase"?

Was it you or Tony that wrote "never underestimate the ingenuity of a stupid person"? Unfortunately this could not apply more to design - "just incase".

Regards

Billy

but would argue (forgetting relevant Laws/Guidance) that a very high percentage of design is for "just in case" scenarios. Fire Alarms, Intruder Alarms, Controls, Cut-outs, E-stops, UPS, back up Generators, less abled alarms, could all be placed in the "just in case" bracket.

You'd be wrong, each of these systems quoted, have their own laid down design criteria's, And again the ''Just in Case'' aspect, has no relevance within those laid down design and risk assessment concepts...

Then they are all bloody idiots!! ''Just in Case'' has no relevance in electrical design concepts!!

It's designed into the spec of an installation, "Just in case" some numpty who thinks he knows it all and more than the Regs comes along and replaces a section of steel conduit with plastic because it's easier or gets around the problem of threading a section that may be installed through a floor etc..

Don't say it doesn't happen, seen it way too many times.

Further, Reg 543.2.7 states

"Where the protective conductor is formed by metal conduit, trunking or ducting or the metal sheath and/or armour of a cable, the earthing terminal of each accessory shall be connected by a separate protective conductor to an earthing terminal incorporated in the associated box or other enclosure"

Therefore a fly lead would need to be added to all accessory boxes within the conduit system, but what happens when you then introduce connections via flexible conduit, do you rely on a connection to the rear of a BESA box to provide your circuit earth? Great in theory, but many installation get abused, especially flexible conduit connections, and this could get damaged.

Further, Reg 543.2.9 states

Except where the circuit protective conductor is formed by a metal covering or enclosure containing all of the conductors of the ring, the circuit protective conductor of every ring final circuit shall also be run in the form of a ring having both ends connected to the earthing terminal at the point of origin of the circuit.

Now I can envisage plenty of scenarios whereby the conduit may not be continuous, such as when you use the conduit system to feed several rings and one or more actually terminate in Dado trunking, which being plastic is not good as a CPC. This creates a discontinuous metal cpc and thus to comply with the regs you would have to run a separate CPC into the circuit in this situation. You also need to be aware that perhaps the metal is not continuous in all instances and it is possible that in the future the metal conduit system could be broken into and thus become discontinuous.

Lastly, is it really that much of an issue to pull in a separate earth when your pulling cables in anyway? At least you know for sure you have a compliant cpc.

Reply to **Show Us Your Installs!!!** in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net