Currently reading:
11kV Powerlines

Discuss 11kV Powerlines in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Blackbeard

This is just out of curiosity, not really relevant in professional terms:

I often see rural 11kV Powerlines in the UK with 2 rather than 3 lines, so I'm wondering if that would be 2 phases or a line and a neutral - and if it's a neutral where would that go to ?

2 wires = 1 phase. 11kV between the wires, but 5.5kV each relative to earth. The 'neutral' is formed after the consumer's step down transformer by earthing one side of the 230V output to a rod or bare copper radials, or, in my case to the centre of the 230-0-230 volt output.

2 wires = 1 phase. 11kV between the wires, but 5.5kV each relative to earth. The 'neutral' is formed after the consumer's step down transformer by earthing one side of the 230V output to a rod or bare copper radials, or, in my case to the centre of the 230-0-230 volt output.

6.35kV to earth.

Not 5.5kV

It's a single phase supply formed from two phases of the 11kV three phase system, not a single phase supply centre tapped for the earth.

The earth is formed from the star point of a 33kV/11kV transformer secondary (usually - there are actually other ways of forming the star point for the earth, but at 11kV using a star secondary is most common)

Just the same as in an industrial setting, a single phase 400V load across two of the three phases from the three-phase supply - each phase is still 230V to earth not 200V

Reply to 11kV Powerlines in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock