Discuss 2391 What to expect in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Im booked in for 2391 5 day course in Stirling soon and just looking to see what to expect.

Is it 4 days revision on the fundamental theorys followed by an online exam?

Then do you need to come back and do the practical

Any help would be appreciated

Im booked in for 2391 5 day course in Stirling soon and just looking to see what to expect.

Is it 4 days revision on the fundamental theorys followed by an online exam?

Then do you need to come back and do the practical

Any help would be appreciated
All this should have ben explained to you when you booked the course Mate
[automerge]1566965298[/automerge]
When I did mine you needed to go back for the practical excercise

Last edited:
When i did mine it felt quite stretched out. The first 4 days were class based if i recall, and the last day was the exams and practical. Most people there were fully qualified sparks but i got the impression a lot of them had had their hand held a bit throughout their career and they still got through.

When i did 2391-52 the first day was introduction/revision.
2nd day was online exam ooen book (60 questions) you are allowed, bbb,osg and GN3
3rd day revision
4th day revision and written exam
5th day practical which is testing of 3 phase installation, ze and pefc/pscc

When i did 2391-52 the first day was introduction/revision.
2nd day was online exam ooen book (60 questions) you are allowed, bbb,osg and GN3
3rd day revision
4th day revision and written exam
5th day practical which is testing of 3 phase installation, ze and pefc/pscc
A whole day, how many tea breaks did they con out of that day? 9 oclock have a chat tilf 10:30 back at11:00 bit of practical Lunch 12:30 till13:30, waffle till 15:30 tea 16:00 till 17:30 home time that will be £500:00 thank you Sir Next please. Am I wrong? don't think so.

Last edited:
Recently done 2391-52
Did it one day a week for several weeks as couldnt take a week off so not rushed, felti benefited more because of it.
Did it with morris services in kingswood.
Found it insightful from periodic point of view and how the chief examiner at city and guilds codes things c1 c2 etc and why.
The actual testing side was no drama and didnt really test the whole system, told what to test by the supervisor. You have to demonstrate a range of testing and examiner must be satisfied you know what you are doing.
Found it good brushing up on volt drop, and other calcs as im a bit of a maths nerd.
As always safe isolation is a must so make sure you know how to isolate a 3 phase board.
Had 3 faults on mine 1) high resistance water bonding >5ohms
2) L1 missing on DOL starter found doing polarity check
3) IR test between conductors on socket circuit below 2Mohm

Had series of posters showing installations and had to identify issues c1,c2,c3,fi or none. One of them has no issues. Nothing too difficult. Think it was 8 posters in all.

Written part is easy, simple couple line answers, nothing a first year college kid wouldnt fly through. If in doubt just go to gn3 and the example inspection schedules and it gives you a reg number for each issue on an eicr!

Didnt find the computer exam too bad. If you know your testing and are upto date with the 18th you shouldnt struggle. Dont rush it and watch how the questions are written. They like scenarios with say 5 questions for it.
The 2391-52 is 60 questions across both initial and periodic where as the 50 and 51 are 40 on the respective area. Tutor reclons the 52 is easier.

The practice exams are a good indication of the real one in terms of difficulty.

Reply to 2391 What to expect in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net