Discuss CSCS Card in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
i currently have a green (labourer) CSCS card. When I was doing the training the guy running it was going round the room asking what our trades were and for nearly everyone advised on an alternative route to get a card with their role on it. When I asked him what the route might be as an electrician he didn’t know. He could tell Ames Tapers, Mastic Men and Glaziers but had no idea for me. Where do you guys go for a CSCS card with electrician written on it and what quals does it take?

Electrican card is an ECS card of which you will need to be working towards your NVQ to require this card by enrolling on the C&G 2365 course.

Are you an electrician?
Yes, my background is RAF completing maintenance on large machines such as 3phase generators and circuit design and install for temporary field installations. I left this year and now work on service lifts on wind turbines (this can require CSCS or CCNSG depending on site) my current employer put me through both. If a CSCS card with electrician is an easy addition to my collection I was thinking of trying to get one but it was purely as a “only if I can” type thing.

Thanks for the replies guys but I think I’m beyond chasing NVQs nowadays.

Yes, my background is RAF completing maintenance on large machines such as 3phase generators and circuit design and install for temporary field installations. I left this year and now work on service lifts on wind turbines (this can require CSCS or CCNSG depending on site) my current employer put me through both. If a CSCS card with electrician is an easy addition to my collection I was thinking of trying to get one but it was purely as a “only if I can” type thing.

I have a lot of respect for service men and women and in general they get trained well, but after seeing your reply buddy, I have to be honest, you are a million miles away from being classed as an electrician, unless you have other qualifications you have not mentioned.

In order to get an electricians card you will need to do a full 3/4 year course part time and an NVQ.

I have a lot of respect for service men and women and in general they get trained well, but after seeing your reply buddy, I have to be honest, you are a million miles away from being classed as an electrician, unless you have other qualifications you have not mentioned.
I’ve always classed myself as an electrical technician or maintenance electrician as it’s definitely the machine maintenance that my background focuses on. The bits from the sockets onwards are what I’m good at and experienced in but they’re definitely still electrical.

I’ve always classed myself as an electrical technician or maintenance electrician as it’s definitely the machine maintenance that my background focuses on. The bits from the sockets onwards are what I’m good at and experienced in but they’re definitely still electrical.
Again I respect and admire you as you have served in the armed forces, I am a huge admirer of you and your kind, huge, but you need more in Civvy street to be classed as a spark mate. I wish you well and I am on your side, but you need more fella.

Cheers Tony, it looks like the guys that used to work for me could apply as they completed NVQ3 but I did my training before it was introduced. Back then we were trained in only what the RAF needed. A few years before me the lads got ONCs and a few years after NVQ3. The irony is I spent 13 years supervising guys and verifying their work standards for their NVQs. I’m certainly beyond bothering pursuing one myself now though.

Again I respect and admire you as you have served in the armed forces, I am a huge admirer of you and your kind, huge, but you need more in Civvy street to be classed as a spark mate. I wish you well and I am on your side, but you need more fella.
Ignore me, I actually agree that with my background I couldn’t just rock up on site. I’ve become a bit thin skinned after a few beers over this after a couple of interviews earlier in the year. After one guy in particular was convinced that my experience on 3 phase rotating machinery wasn’t relevant because the output at the other end was different to what his factory did. The laws of physics don’t change.

Are you saying that you have the general green labourers card that your new employer put you through?
What qualifications do you have? just thinking you could get one through "grandfathers rights" as they call it.

Are you saying that you have the general green labourers card that your new employer put you through?
What qualifications do you have? just thinking you could get one through "grandfathers rights" as they call it.
All I’ve got electrically at the moment is my 17th edition, the C+G PAT qualifications and some C+G level 2 certs I was given because when I joined up the electricians had previously got an ONC but the requirements to gain it had changed and our course hadn’t. I was trained to 2391 standard but because it was for internal MoD use we were never actually given 2391. I’ve been considering updating to 18th edition and trying to tack 2391 on but it’s not a requirement for what I do right now. Things like CSCS and CCNSG are new to me because again it was all taught internally and recorded on MoD computer systems. I was just asking the question in case it becomes relevant in the future. I’m starting to realise employers ask for things that aren’t strictly needed for the job but they prove a level of knowledge. 17th edition is a prime example for a lot of electrical maintenance roles despite all the work being about maintaiing the machines that plug in to the installation. That’ll change to 18th soon which is why I’m considering updating. I just thought a card that showed I had an electrical background might come in handy at some point but only if I’d needed a small top up course of some sort. I’ve no intention of trying to become an installation electrician, it’s a very different job to what I’ve done and continue to do.

Reply to CSCS Card in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net