Discuss Diodes and Thyristors in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

City

Hello all,
First post here! I need some help with this one. What's the difference between a thyristor and a diode? They both conduct in one direction, both lack a gate, they all conduct AC, except that diode doesn't have a gate? Is there any other difference? :confused:
Any help would be much appreciated!

hi and welcome i learnt about semi conductor devices from a non text book before wikipedia was thought up. now if i need to remember i use wikipedia ,havent i mentioned wikipedia before ? the memory seems to be going perhaps it needs ramming or rebooting ..........wikipedia.

I've already scoured the internet for what I could find. Unfortunately however, no article I've read appears to go into detail enough for me to be able to clearly distinguish between the two. Diodes are a type of thyristor, and diodes have 2 terminals as opposed to 3. That's all I've been able to gather from the internet (hyperphysics, wiki) and 2 books I've gone through. SCR's vs diodes, they both seem to be the same thing. Anything at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,
First post here! I need some help with this one. What's the difference between a thyristor and a diode? They both conduct in one direction, both lack a gate, they all conduct AC, except that diode doesn't have a gate? Is there any other difference? :confused:

Do not know where you got your info from but a thyristor does have a gate. :rolleyes:

you need to apply a voltage to it for it to conduct.

A thyristor is also known as a SCR (silicon controlled resistor) used some years ago on speed control on cranes for switching out resistor banks.

I've already scoured the internet for what I could find. Unfortunately however, no article I've read appears to go into detail enough for me to be able to clearly distinguish between the two. Diodes are a type of thyristor, and diodes have 2 terminals as opposed to 3. That's all I've been able to gather from the internet (hyperphysics, wiki) and 2 books I've gone through. SCR's vs diodes, they both seem to be the same thing. Anything at all?

heres the links to what wayne sugested in the first place ,i think there should be enough info ,even for you now:eek:

Diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thyristor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

have fun:)

Hello all,

Basically a diode is rectifier, once it is forward biased, with an anode to cathode voltage of about 0.6 V it will conduct, in one direction only

Think of thyristor as the same thing but with a gate. it still needs a forward bias to work, but only switched in when current is applied to the gate, once triggered it will stay conducting until it is reversed biased, (by putting +ve v on the cathode) or until the forward bias V is removed

It works in a similr way to relay or contactor - switching a high current circuit from small signal

Hve you ever seen a bridge rectifier? This is 4 diodes connected in series parrallel, and will turn an AC supply to a full wave rectified DC output

Well by replacing the output diodes with thyristors, you can 'pulse fire' them on and off to control the level of DC current and voltage output - this is how larger battery chargers work

They use banks of pulse fired thyristors to control motor speed in invertors and soft starters

Does that answer your question?

Basically a diode is rectifier, once it is forward biased, with an anode to cathode voltage of about 0.6 V it will conduct, in one direction only

Think of thyristor as the same thing but with a gate. it still needs a forward bias to work, but only switched in when current is applied to the gate, once triggered it will stay conducting until it is reversed biased, (by putting +ve v on the cathode) or until the forward bias V is removed

It works in a similr way to relay or contactor - switching a high current circuit from small signal

Hve you ever seen a bridge rectifier? This is 4 diodes connected in series parrallel, and will turn an AC supply to a full wave rectified DC output

Well by replacing the output diodes with thyristors, you can 'pulse fire' them on and off to control the level of DC current and voltage output - this is how larger battery chargers work

They use banks of pulse fired thyristors to control motor speed in invertors and soft starters

Does that answer your question?

Exremely helpful shakey, thanks alot!

Reply to Diodes and Thyristors in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock