Discuss EVCP and PV integration in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

t01474

-
Reaction score
Evening all.

I got a call from a (potential) client today regarding an EVCP that he’d like fitted.
He’s already had a few quotes and said that as he has a roof full of PV he was told that only some chargers (I know, sockets, but it’s easier for him to think of them as chargers) will be appropriate.
I’m off over there on Saturday to have a look.
I’ve fitted a fair few EVCP’s but they’ve all been “standard”. No PV / battery storage etc in the system.
My assumption is that he’d like to be able to use the PV generated electricity to charge the car.
Is it much different from a normal EV charger job?
I’ve been looking at the Hypervolt 2.0 which says that it works with all PV systems but again it looks like a normal job; CAT5/6 for the CT and a supply and away it goes.
Any pointers from the hive mind on this one?
My initial assumption was that there would be an additional CT on the inverter and some electronic wizardry somewhere to utilise the PV supply but as I say, the Hypervolt looks like a standard set-up?

I presume the PV is grid tied? In which case any charger will work but won’t exclusively charge from pv only , I think you can set a zappi to only charge via pv , you will need ct on various lines and possibly network type cables to the zappi as well

My assumption is that it’s grid tied, I’ll have a look on when I go there but he didn’t mention battery storage.
It’s a normal EV job then really, where if he does produce PV electricity it’ll just cost slightly less to charge the car?
I saw on a similar thread that the CT placement was an issue?

There are a number of systems out there where the EVCP communicates with the PV controller such that you can make it only allow charging when the PV is producing power.

Just using a ct on the incomer doesn't do this as although you can set the EVCP to import zero from the grid, it cannot determine whether the supply from the inverter is from the PV or the batteries (having been charged from the PV).

I don't think there is a standard protocol which is shared between products, so whatever the PV setup uses, would mandate a particular EVCP, assuming the PV setup is advanced enough to do this.

You would need to identify the PV setup, contact the manufacturer and see if their product supports this, and which EVCP are compatible.

There are a number of systems out there where the EVCP communicates with the PV controller such that you can make it only allow charging when the PV is producing power.

Just using a ct on the incomer doesn't do this as although you can set the EVCP to import zero from the grid, it cannot determine whether the supply from the inverter is from the PV or the batteries (having been charged from the PV).

I don't think there is a standard protocol which is shared between products, so whatever the PV setup uses, would mandate a particular EVCP, assuming the PV setup is advanced enough to do this.

You would need to identify the PV setup, contact the manufacturer and see if their product supports this, and which EVCP are compatible.
Sounds like you’d have to put a lot of faith in the PV generation with that set-up.
Thanks for the reply, shows what’s possible with PV and EV.
I’d he’s got no battery storage installed it all sounds like a normal job 👍

Reply to EVCP and PV integration in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net