Discuss Ferrule crimpers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

We often need to use ferrules on 0.25mm cables for control stuff, and the cheap eBay special self-adjusting crimper was not doing that OK. Fine for 1mm and above, not so great below.

I discovered that the fancy RS hex-profile crimper:

Is made by the Swedish company Pressmaster and is available here at a slightly less eye-watering price (RS about 25% more expensive):

(unfortunate choice of name for the UK market!)

Got one today and very pleased with it. Does a really good job with the smaller ferrules and comfortable to use. Realistically it is difficult to justify the x10 cost compared to the Chinese versions for most users that have occasional use of the 1-10mm sizes, but if you really need it to work well over the whole range it is a good investment.

Last edited:
At that cost, I think I will stick with the one I posted earlier, crimps to closed, so may do the fine wire you are talking about, the white ferrels are 0.5mm?
The ones I'm using are violet.

Yes, it is hard to justify cost over the ebay/amazon ones, but they do work really well.

White is 0.5mm², yes. Violet 0.25 surely? Both French code.

How do the hex versions fare in cage-clamp terminals? I use the square intermeshed kind from Pressmaster, which leaves the ferrule square and crinkly. I sometimes find with the smaller cables it is rather too crinkly because it applies too much force; is that the problem you had with the Chinese one?

White is 0.5mm², yes. Violet 0.25 surely? Both French code.
Probably. Whatever we usually get from RS...
How do the hex versions fare in cage-clamp terminals? I use the square intermeshed kind from Pressmaster, which leaves the ferrule square and crinkly. I sometimes find with the smaller cables it is rather too crinkly because it applies too much force; is that the problem you had with the Chinese one?
Not played with it enough for that yet, but usually a larger cage-clamp at recommended torque flattens out the ferrule anyway. In that sense crimp force is less critical.

The problem I had was the cheap one was not crimping it enough to hold the wire reliably before they were tightened down. Seemed OK much of the time for 0.5mm, and great for 1-10mm, though I have a better one that does 10, 16 & 25mm

So really I have used the cheap one mostly for 1.5, 2.5, 4 and 6mm.

It appears to have an adjustment, but the screw holding that in place was so tight that the head cammed out attempting to loosen it to see if it could be adjusted. That was the point when I decided to calm my inner Aberdonian, get a good one, and stop messing around.

There is, but its either French or German If I remember correctly, the colours correspond to the size nothing to do with harmonisation of phase neutral and earth/CPC.

or just get a ferrule. cut off the insulated sleeve, crimp ove a bit of the steel armour from some 1.5mm SWA.

It happened but only on appliances with wired in plugs where it made no difference at all. ?

France still use Red for live conductors, but only if they are not using Orange for switched live or Violet for strapping or the Black or Grey for Domestic three phase. ?

Reply to Ferrule crimpers in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net