Discuss Flat roof in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

EasyFox

Single story extension with a flat roof with 6inch joists.
Do you drill the roof joists or use the 150mm safe zone?

Me I go for the safe zone, but was asked today on a site by another sparks why I do this .

Me I go for the safe zone, but was asked today on a site by another sparks why I do this .

I drill the joists. As it is a flat roof there is no issue with the structural integrity as the roof is not load bearing. The fewer cables in the wall the better IMHO.

I drill the joists. As it is a flat roof there is no issue with the structural integrity as the roof is not load bearing. The fewer cables in the wall the better IMHO.

Hi ,i think you will find there are quite a few issues concerning the structual integrity of flat roofs,ive studied the subject in depth ,,i would be very carefull as if the owner has a problem with the roof and it turns out its because you drilled the joists ,(or he makes out it is) ,then you may have big problems :)

i agree i used to also do a bit of flat roofing, its a roof truss regardless of what angle its sitting at, id stay well clear, yoiu got safe zones and rcd, so its all good

Sorry chaps but as long as you are sensible, follow the guidelines and don't end up with a joist that looks like a lump of cheese then there is nothing to worry about.

Sorry chaps but as long as you are sensible, follow the guidelines and don't end up with a joist that looks like a lump of cheese then there is nothing to worry about.

Sorry ,but i have to disagree ,the structual calcs and regs concerning roof trusses are just as complex as the electrical regs and have to be complied with just the same ,how do you prove you havent weaknd a joist ,unless youve done all the calcs and had them certified by a structual enginner ,because thats what building regulations demand
saying that i would probably chance it depending on the condition of the roof and weather i thought the customer might try and stitch me up ,ie ,by coming up with a report and a bill ,for remedial work that had to be carried out to rectify the damage i had caused .you may laugh but thats exactly what i would do if i wanted to **** somone over:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry ,but i have to disagree ,the structual calcs and regs concerning roof trusses are just as complex as the electrical regs and have to be complied with just the same ,how do you prove you havent weaknd a joist ,unless youve done all the calcs and had them certified by a structual enginner ,because thats what building regulations demand
saying that i would probably chance it depending on the condition of the roof and weather i thought the customer might try and stitch me up ,ie ,by coming up with a report and a bill ,for remedial work that had to be carried out to rectify the damage i had caused .you may laugh but thats exactly what i would do if i wanted to **** somone over:)

I agree with you on all of this. I never drill holes unless it is unavoidable. In manufactured roof trusses I would never drill holes full stop as these are factory designed and built and the comeback could be catastrophic!!

I agree with you on all of this. I never drill holes unless it is unavoidable. In manufactured roof trusses I would never drill holes full stop as these are factory designed and built and the comeback could be catastrophic!!

Thats good ,:)

i agree i used to also do a bit of flat roofing, its a roof truss regardless of what angle its sitting at, id stay well clear, yoiu got safe zones and rcd, so its all good

But remember as sparky york says as well ;)

have fun:)

Last edited by a moderator:

I tend to opt for the safe zones,have drilled in the past just for a couple of lighting cables though.

Reply to Flat roof in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock