Discuss Homebase in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rappid

-
Reaction score
Had a call from Homebase the DIY chain, they are looking to promote trades within the store and I would be only 1 of 12 trades and the only electrician.
Gonna cost £10 a week for 2 years and that includes the displays and leaflets promoting my business.
Do you think it's worth the punt?

We put our card in Tesco about 15 years ago with the other services, didn't get a single hit from them.

Obviously homebase will attract the DIY, the odd one who will feel out of their depth. It depends on if you can afford the hit and the risk of not getting £1040 worth of profitable business in this time-frame.

A thousand pounds per individual for the 2 years 12 trades £12000 is a nice earner for the company
Multiply that by perhaps 1000 stores and they stand to rake in £12,000,000
That could be their motive

If you have advertising money available,try and decide whether people actually go to these places to do thngs themselves,then the percentage who may prefer a tradesman.then the percentage who already know someone,then the chances of getting the calls from whats left
There are no easy ways to promote yourself

For that price I would expect all my advertising to be around the electrical area including the lighting bays etc.

To be honest people going to a DIY chain to buy electrical items are just that, DIY which means they will probably do it themselves. Those that want to use a tradesmen will usually ring them up for them to supply. You may get the odd light to put up when someone sees a nice fitting they want but that would need your leaflets to be placed accordingly in the store which probably wont happen.

£10 a month is a lot of money to pay out for what I think could be a low return.

Do they have a pay monthly scheme, even if its £15 a month you could try that without committing and see how it works out for you

Would not think anyone would get a chance to see the board behind the tills, usually too many people trying to sell conservatories standing in front of them.
Most people leave the till and run to the car with a warm glow of getting the drill out again.......Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....................!!!

had the same sort of deal offered me by wicks. better to ad. in the local rag.

Or get frustrated by the overly helpful staff at the self service tills that just get in the way and complain they haven't got enough staff to man the tills...

Don't think Homebase call local trades up.

No, Homebase do call people up like this (or at least their advertising agency does). Sainsbury, Tesco, all the sheds and big stores do it - they all have these boards to charge tradesmen a small fortune to get not a lot. The boards are always at the exit, which means people get the chance to browse what's on show and pick up cards on their way out, but also when they've finished their shopping and want to get it all out to the car. If anyone here has tried this and earned their money back from it I'd love to know.

PJ

You would be better off giving the electrical "expert" at the local shed a grand to promote you whenever he sees someone buying a CU :)

Hope that's not illegal. If so, I take it all back....

I've had them on the phone to me. The company concerned is called service link or something like that.

I gave him a bit of stick and he dropped it to £8 a week. I still said no.

Just a complete money making racket.

Got talked into taking out a similar thing with tescos, £1200 for 2 years. Must be around 3 years ago and the cards are still on display, got my first call last week! I'm not even trading under the same name but still have the same phone number. Avoid like the plague!

Had Homebase ring me up several months ago, said hello then went into a 5 minute chat about what he could offer me, which was advertising in there stores. Hung up on them eventually, only for them to ring me back and ask what happened then just start the speil from where he left off. Just put my phone down on the side leaving him talking to no body in the end.

Thanks for the responses, I decided not to bother.
It's a DIY store so the majority of the people going in there intend on doing the work themselves.
If Homebase were to put my leaflet into every piece of electrical item they sold, I would definately sign up.

Thanks for the responses, I decided not to bother.
It's a DIY store so the majority of the people going in there intend on doing the work themselves.
If Homebase were to put my leaflet into every piece of electrical item they sold, I would definately sign up.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Having a few business cards in a stand by the exit is not really promoting or advertising imo.

Reply to Homebase in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock