Discuss Homebase in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Avoid these like the plague!!

They come in many guises - Balmoral Services - Service Link - Windsor Associates - Trinity Services - Link-a-Trade - Service Point - ADC.

They are all part of WRT Group - and they are all crooks! They claim to work for TESCO, Wickes, Homebase and Sainburys.

Sold me Homebase advertising saying they worked for Homebase and were looking to find trades to help keep customers from going to other big DIY stores and home improvement stores.

They do not work for Homebase or any other large store - they have a concession in stores which they sell advertising for - cards or leaflets.

All contracts are classed as non-cancellable - plus you dont get no cooling off period when it comes to advertising so be careful.

Avoid avoid avoid!!

Storemedia / Windsor Associates / Wickes Link a Trade

Has anyone had any bad dealings with the above companies, they are all party of the same group.

I have been swindled out of money by them and a little by my naivety.

I had a call from a salesmen saying he was from Wickes. (Lie, he works for Storemedia)
He told me that Wickes were looking to get local builders working with local stores for local customers. He said that Wickes fit kitchen, but at the moment do not do any building work and that rather than have members of staff maybe giving out the mates numbers, they decided to work with local builders.

They offer a card slot and card placed in it at the front of stores as well as putting you on a list for building works. He said that staff would recommend up to 3 builders in each store and that we would work very close with Wickes designers. He said that we would be able to show on our website that we work with Wickes, by showing their logo.

At this point your all thinking that I should have seen that it was a con, but he had loads of Wickes documentation and imagery.

I signed up to the deal, deposit £560 and contract total of £2250 for 2 years.
I went to the local store the next day to say hello to the designers, they told me that it was all lies and that Storemedia have nothing to do with them. Except they pay to have their card dispenser at the front of the store.

I’m sure lots of there are lots of you thinking what a fool, which to be honest I was.

If you have been approached by them please stay well away. Also if they contacted you saying they worked for Wickes and you fancy jotting that down for my court case, that would be much appreciated.

Please do leave helpful comments

that last post says it all. avoid like the plague.

Stupidly I signed with Link a trade (after getting a far cheaper deal) and then had 2nd thoughts - their agreement was pretty water tight BUT they slipped up and took unauthorised payments from my card which a lawyer mate of mine said gave me the out.

4 weeks later and numerous emails and a couple of letters they have finally said they will refund my money - that as Monday and its yet to happen.

They claim they are good at communication and marketing - don't be fooled - communication is terrible.

As others have said don't get involved.

A thousand pounds per individual for the 2 years 12 trades £12000 is a nice earner for the company
Multiply that by perhaps 1000 stores and they stand to rake in £12,000,000
That could be their motive

If you have advertising money available,try and decide whether people actually go to these places to do thngs themselves,then the percentage who may prefer a tradesman.then the percentage who already know someone,then the chances of getting the calls from whats left
There are no easy ways to promote yourself
another way to do it....is go down there on a sunday.....just the time that couples etc like to wander round such places dreaming (or planning) their new home makeover.....
when you see em looking at kitchen stuff.....or electrical accessories.....offer them your card....
if homebase and the like think they can pass off stunts like this as `helping the local tradesman`....then you just do it back....use em to get your customers....

Keep hold of your money dont chuck it away.
My brothers mate is a manager at the local HB..........................he said ;

1. This set up is nothing to do with HB
  2. Isnt worth what the company are charging for a handful of business cards.
  3. The store staff move the card holder to some obscure place behind the tills because 9 times out of 10 the rep leaves it in the way of the customers exit.
  4. It's a DIY store why the **** would customers call a tradesman.
  5. If they do realize they need help, they are then at home so will use google or if over 30 use yellow pages to find a sparks, going back to HB to get a card from a hidden stand is the last thing they will think of.

His advice stay away & tell the bloke to do one.
Can you tell I've had the same call a few times now.

Would be suprised if even diyers would look in homebase for materials. I was stuck last week needing 1 more fcu, homebase round the corner from this house price was £11.99 for a basic white fcu, needless to say i left the job till the next day

Re: Storemedia / Windsor Associates / Wickes Link a Trade

Hi

I must admit I signed up as well - never normally taken in but anyway I was. Until I couldn't get no sleep that night because I knew I had F***** up.

I cancelled my cheque for the deposit next day which they said I couldn't and the contract couldn't be cancelled.

I wrote cancelling stating my reasons of being mis-sold the product etc.

I had a couple of phone calls off them but not too much hassle as they know they are con artists.

My advice would be to cancel your cheque deposit if not too late - other than that I would defiantly cancel your standing order and let them threaten you.

Write to them sensibly explaining that it was mis sold to you and that they don't have a contract with Wickes and they mis-represented who they were working for - i was told similar lies about Homebase. Same again - store manager knows nothing about it. I did this just so that if any further action is taken then I look like I'm a sane business owner and not just someone who is complaining because the advertising hasn't worked for them.

I wouldn't worry about a court case, there is no way in the world that these want to go to court as their malpractice would be torn apart by a judge and what they are doing would be brought into the open.

I have had correspondence with others in the same position who have stopped paying their installments and after a bit of threatening and phone calls they don't take it any further.

I just wish the likes of Tesco, Homebase, and Wickes would stop selling space in their stores to these fraudsters.

Drop me a line if you think I could help any further - would be happy to.

Paul

Thanks for your responses, could we get the mods to put this up as a sticky and add the word 'Scam' to the thread header?
Might save someone a few hundred quid of their hard earned cash and a lot of stress.

Reply to Homebase in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock