Discuss I am sick !!!!!! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MRES

Well once again I have stumbled upon a absolutely shocking piece of electrical installation work. Why me I asked myself once again ?

Today I went to a house to first fix a kitchen for a kitchen installation company I have as a client. Upon thinking I had isolated the power to the kitchen ring main and cooker I find that I have 230V neutral to earth on both circuits ! Initial thought was a back feed or a shared neutral. Upon isolating every circuit in the consumer I still had 230V neutral to earth ! After removing the cover of the new 17th edition consumer unit I discovered the BRIGHT SPARK electrician had connected the live tail from the meter into the NEUTRAL terminal on the switch disconnector and the neutral tail into the LIVE terminal !! FOOKING HELL I said to myself. Then I discovered 3 cables terminated into a 6 amp MCB and another 3 terminsted into a 10 amp MCB, also there were cables extended using throu crimps OUTSIDE of the board ! Some circuits had excess copper showing over 10mm were terminated into the MCB`s. Apparently the consumer had been replaced 3 months ago by an electrician who works for the company who built the extension.

I informed the house owner of the problems and she instantly got onto the phone to the builder who showed up within 15mins.

He agreed that the work was ****E and extremely dangerous. He could not get around the fact that the electrician had issued him with a certificate complete with test results for an installation with reversed polarity !!!

All this said the electrician has once again dissapeared into thin air and I have been asked to put the work right which entails a new 15 way consumer, new tails and bonding. I will gain a tidy sum out of it and a 10 way high integ board for free. What is more the builder has issued me drawings for 4 new build properties and would like a quote issueing for next friday !!

I have not seen the test certificate however I don`t believe one has been issued as it should be in the hands of the customer not the builder. Unless the customer has not yet paid up ? I will be posing that question tomoro.

I will tread carefully with this builder as somethings don`t add up.

I am sick and tired of coming across work to such a sub standard and it is my thought that after 3 years of part p it is not working neither is the government trustmark scheme. People just dont know about the scheme`s.

I am sick of been undercut by fly by night electricians and getting phone calls saying can you sort this ?

I am sick of people expecting rewires done to 17th edition standards for £700 because bob from down the rose and crown says he can do it for that much.

Yes you guest it, I am sick as a parrot and I am going to go to A&E.

Its not good, its not good at all....maybe time to try and sneak into the commercial sector a little bit more, less likely for "Bob down the pub" to get the chance to undercut you.

Good luck!

Yes you are right, I do commercial work and sometimes I do come across shoddy work but it is old installation work not recent stuff. I certainly dont see as much shoddy work in commercial as I do domestic !

You dont get Bob from the rose and crown on commercial jobs you get Barry who is the general maintenance man who served for the SAS in Vietnam, Iraq 1 & 2, Afghanistan and Africa. He was also a electrican but moved on to do gas fitting but moved on to be a tiler but moved on to own a pub but moved on drive lorrys but moved on to design oil rigs etc etc

Barry usually wears jamjar bottom glasses and blue overalls, he smells like cat **** and is covered in grease. He is also good at talking the legs off of an iron donkey. Oh the joys !!! :):D

And dont get me started on Dave from the wholesalers !!

Just be aware that Commercial work also comes with health warnings. You do the work and then they dont pay!!! It takes an eternity for the cheque to hit the bank account. Something not required in todays climate :mad:

Did a loft conversion afew weeks ago....great sockets and lighting power already there just needed rejigging....

Found the lighting circuit had no cpc and all class 1 fittings and switches..

Did my install fine but the customer had a new extension and kitchen refurb 1 year ago, shown me the certs..( took him 6 mths to get them ), but everything was wrong the main fuse, type of installation, R1 + R2 on lighting circuit 30 ohms with zs of 0.96 ohms, everything on the cert was incorrect.....

Informed customer and more work will be coming my way.

Very common some idiots give us a bad name...

What can you do?

Untill the Electrical industry goes down the same road as Corgi and only registered qualified electricians can purchase electrical cable and fittings then Bob from the Rose and Crown will still go to B&Q and ***k it all up.

Part P is a waste of time, I think I read somewhere that 98% of Part P notification come from registered schemes, its just more paperwork for proper sparks!

You dont get Bob from the rose and crown on commercial jobs you get Barry who is the general maintenance man who served for the SAS in Vietnam, Iraq 1 & 2, Afghanistan and Africa. He was also a electrican but moved on to do gas fitting but moved on to be a tiler but moved on to own a pub but moved on drive lorrys but moved on to design oil rigs etc etc

Barry usually wears jamjar bottom glasses and blue overalls, he smells like cat **** and is covered in grease. He is also good at talking the legs off of an iron donkey. Oh the joys !!! :):D

not generalising at all then?

Next time have a listen to what Barry has to say...you will prob learn a thing or two! oh yeah I forgot you inst boys know everything :):rolleyes:

not generalising at all then?

Next time have a listen to what Barry has to say...you will prob learn a thing or two! oh yeah I forgot you inst boys know everything :):rolleyes:

I take it you are a 'Barry' ? :D But without the cats musk, jam jars, grease but maybe the overalls ? No offence intended Monty :eek: Barry has taught me alot about gorilla tactics in afghanistan and how to diffuse an IED with one of his many pens he keeps shoved in the top pocket of his overalls. He also has a mobile phone loaded with ---- !!:D:rolleyes:

Like I always said 'part p' means **** all, anyone can write numbers. Another government ****up, but they are really good at it. All it does is encourages cowboys with testers

a friend asked me to do the install on her loft conversion in Fulham 2 years ago, but needed a cert. Not being part poo reged I couldn't do it. The dancing builders (pole not lap) got their own guy in who issued the cert. i even left my OSG to help. certificate (legally binding) issued. HA HA!!!! My dog could have done better!!and shes been dead for 14 years. all power taken from the existing shower supply in 1.5 radialed to sockets and lights, shower ext. into loft void, no iso. Passed the rectification onto a buddy, £700 later, friend poorer but wiser. You get what you pay for (sometimes!)

We

I am sick and tired of coming across work to such a sub standard and it is my thought that after 3 years of part p it is not working neither is the government trustmark scheme. People just dont know about the scheme`s.

I am sick of been undercut by fly by night electricians and getting phone calls saying can you sort this ?

I am sick of people expecting rewires done to 17th edition standards for £700 because bob from down the rose and crown says he can do it for that much.

Yes you guest it, I am sick as a parrot and I am going to go to A&E.

Welcome my world, wher ethere are no regs or standards everything is proprietry but becasue it uses copper cable people think its easy and cant be that hard. Guess what its really hard and we are very very good at it thats why we cost money. I did a job the other week where the guys IT bod from a work and spark (from looking at the mains not a very good one had royally stuffed up £3.5k later the guy got what he originally wanted and had paid £7k for. In my world even "Mike the sparky" and "Joe the builder" screw my stuff up, and dont get me started on "Martin the IT man", just cause you read somethign on the internet doesn't make it true......

Like I always said 'part p' means **** all, anyone can write numbers. Another government ****up, but they are really good at it. All it does is encourages cowboys with testers
:) You got to admit though Part P does have its uses for even the most sceptical of you,after all even you where asking for a Part P spark to sign some work off for you not so long back ,if my memory serves me right:eek::D

Reply to I am sick !!!!!! in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock