Discuss Insulation etc in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

revolt3k

What cables you guys using when running in stood wall's, and ceiling's that will be insulated.(mainly new builds) Allot of other sparks dont do cable calcs for factors such as insulation and are just running 2.5 for sockets and 1mm for lights even tho they will be totally surrounded by insulation.

Never been to a house yet that has 4mm for sockets and 1.5+ for all lights?

I am very slowly edging towards the 4mm radial.

Much easier testing too.

How are you finding getting 2 or 3 4mm cables into sockets? Some of the brush stell click i used only just allowed 2x 2.5mm in :eek: would'nt like to think what getting 3 or 2 of the 4mm in.

You using 1.5 fot litghts mate?

Hey.

Myself I always use 1.5mm for lighting, and only ever the 35mm metal backboxes as is with todays trend the flatplate accessories make it almost impssible to use 25mm ones, particularly for ring circuits.

Nearly always 2.5mm for rings with no more than 8 twin sockets to a ring, less if a kitchen ring. With regard to radials, if it's a simple dedicated circuit to one piece of equipment then take loading and factors into account. If a multiple socket outlet radial i.e garage then 4mm, but would again tend to install a ring.

Cheers

2.5 T&E can be o.k. in an insulated stud wall providing the cable is in contact with at least one internal surface ..[ 21A. ]

..it will not be o.k. if not in contact with aninternal surface...[ 13.5 A ]

2.5 T&E can be o.k in a ceiling with up to 100mm of installed insulation..[ 21A ]

..it will not be ok. if insulation thickness exeeds 100mm.[ 17 a. ]

* The above is based on a 32 A ring final circuit

1.0mm T&E can be o.k.in all of the above installed methods provided the protective device is no larger than 6 A.

Note the word CAN is used ,as this advice is based on the thermal restraint requirements as the o.p.
enquired...............Other circuit considerations may be applicable..

Regards...........spark1 :D

2.5 T&E can be o.k. in an insulated stud wall providing the cable is in contact with at least one internal surface ..[ 21A. ]

..it will not be o.k. if not in contact with aninternal surface...[ 13.5 A ]

2.5 T&E can be o.k in a ceiling with up to 100mm of installed insulation..[ 21A ]

..it will not be ok. if insulation thickness exeeds 100mm.[ 17 a. ]

* The above is based on a 32 A ring final circuit

1.0mm T&E can be o.k.in all of the above installed methods provided the protective device is no larger than 6 A.

Note the word CAN is used ,as this advice is based on the thermal restraint requirements as the o.p.
enquired...............Other circuit considerations may be applicable..

Regards...........spark1 :D

So what would YOU use then??

whats the thinking behind this lenny, max 8 twin sockets for a 2.5 ring :confused:

Just always been my way really. Used to be 10 but with all these new appliances and overkill on derating factors from masses of insulation I dropped it to 8.

IMHO 100mSq for a ring circuit is rediculous but I dont make the rules.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
So what would YOU use then??

Just always been my way really. Used to be 10 but with all these new appliances and overkill on derating factors from masses of insulation I dropped it to 8.

IMHO 100mSq for a ring circuit is rediculous but I dont make the rules.:)
i like to keep the kitchen separate but would always use the regs and cable calcs to design ring for rest of house and have never had as little as 8 twins on my circuit :eek:

Lenny.

I would use 2.5 T&e for Sockets provided clipped to studwork and not buried in more than 100mm insulation in the ceiling...if the above cant be adhered to then 4.0 T&E would have to be used ...but
good luck at connections to accessories :(

..and as I said 1.0 T&E is usually o.k for all cases of installation.

.....just my thoughts..others may have others.

.I Have no restrictions on the number of outlets...and a serperate circuit is usually the norm for a Kitchen where most heavy loaded equipment is installed....I would also install dedicated circuit for built in oven if no cooker circuit being installed.

Regards.........................spark1

Hey.

Myself I always use 1.5mm for lighting, and only ever the 35mm metal backboxes as is with todays trend the flatplate accessories make it almost impssible to use 25mm ones, particularly for ring circuits.

Nearly always 2.5mm for rings with no more than 8 twin sockets to a ring, less if a kitchen ring. With regard to radials, if it's a simple dedicated circuit to one piece of equipment then take loading and factors into account. If a multiple socket outlet radial i.e garage then 4mm, but would again tend to install a ring.

Cheers

Lenny just out of intrest If its a upstairs ring 4 bed house and each room has 4 twin sockets in would you really wire 2 rings.?

Cool.;)

Think about it though, to comply with the current regs circuits should be divided so as to cause minimum disruption in the event of fault. So what do we do - split the sockets into upstairs and downstairs circuits and kitchen.

In a normal 3 bed, you would rarely have more than 8-10 sockets upstairs or downstairs anyway so I've always just stuck with that.

Not right or wrong just my way.:)

I know what your saying Len .but in the situation where its a 4 bed house ,4 sockets in each room would you wire 2 rings bearing in mind that upstairs is unlikley to be drawing much current

Lenny just out of intrest If its a upstairs ring 4 bed house and each room has 4 twin sockets in would you really wire 2 rings.?

Sorry, this was then answer for your question Scott.;)

I think so.

Another point of view is the whole re-wire aspect of it. It's got to be easier to wire two rooms and finish with carpets back and furniture replaced than to try and do all four rooms at once particularly if it's occupied???.

Last edited by a moderator:
You would have to speak to the rewire boys about that !

Personly i would not .But then the main reason i come on this forum is to learn a bit about what others think and do .

Reply to Insulation etc in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock