Discuss Interruptions on some Freeview Channels in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Slightly strange one this - I think.

Reception on the BBC Channels and one or two other Digital Channels breaks down now and again and I lose the reception.

I live in the North West and receive signals from Winter Hill.

Most channels are OK all of the time, but now and again (and it seems to be getting more) we lose reception on the BBC Channels - that's BBCs 1, 2 and 4 and the BBC News Channel. This uses the equivalent of the old Channel 50 from the analogue days. It also affects the odd channel using the old Channel 49 too, but not every channel in that cluster.

I've had the aerial and cabling checked and I'm told there's nothing wrong with it.

I was made aware of a potential for 4G interference and contacted the 4G operator who provided me with a Filter, but that's made no difference. The Filter is for Channel 59 as the 4G runs at 800MHz.

Anyone any idea what's likely to be the cause, please?

I'm tearing my hair out and the Freeview Advice line ain't much help.

The thought had gone through my mind, but as a Retiree I don't have money to throw around. I know, in the grand scheme of things, they aren't expensive, but add in Recorders and other TVs (4 Tellys and 5 Recorders in the house) and the cost soon adds up. It may still be the only solution. My neighbours are all on Satellite - mostly because of this problem.

i blame alien invasion. them extra territorials are taking over by stealth. next will be the Borg.

I was going to ask if your neighbours have the same problem..

You can check there for issues..
Also depending on your location you might be best going for another transmitter

We had a similar problem and the guy who fixed it (by sorting out existing satellite) said the area our signal is coming from is saturated with 4g which he thinks has blanketed out the terrestrial signal. Who knew? Anyhow we're not too big on aerials as we have apple tv/netflix and other apps which frees you from watching on a schedule. Everyone I guess has a tablet/laptop/computer which is their tv if you like in your house saving on getting the signal around etc. And with ipads you can just send your pic to the big screen where you are.

Funnily enough Friday night after 10pm nearly every Freeview channel I tuned into stated no signal but was okay next day.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Let's see if I can encapsulate the responses into one post.

1 - Static Zap, Overamplified. When getting the installation checked I asked that question and was told it wasn't a problem.
2 - littlespark, installation. Yes, it is off one aerial, but it impacts every TV at the same time. It is not regular, just happens when it happens and I have to live with it. I've been trying to identify if there are any common factors that could give me a cause, but haven't found anything. Time is random - day, night, wet, dry.
3 - Charlie_, neighbours. Some have had the problem, but most now use Satellite; either Freesat or Sky. I did wonder if there was another transmitter, but am told Birmingham is the next nearest and apparently it is too far away. I may have to give it a try.
4 - Vortigern - 4G. I'm only aware of the one 4G, but will do a trawl and see whether there are any others.
5 - westward10. It was the end of the France/USA Women's World Cup match that I missed this week. Lost signal on all BBC Channels about 9:45 p.m.
6 - anthonybragg, location. Sorry, Anthony. I'm in the North West, not Northamptonshire.

Thanks again, everyone.

Look up 'digital uk 700MHz clearance' for updates for your main or local transmitter. There is a lot going on at the moment as uhf tv frequencies are being freed up for mobile phone use

Have you tried checking the signal quality and strength on each of your televisions and set top boxes? Most should show this in one of the menus - it might help indicate potential causes of the problem.
You should check as Jim_e_Jib has said, when you are able to watch the channels and then when you are not able to. Make a note of the signal quality and strength so that you can compare.

Perhaps you have an intermittent fault with your splitter.

Reply to Interruptions on some Freeview Channels in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock